Search the forum,

Discuss Bal Fastlex onto chipboard!? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi all :thumbsup:

Just been out to quote a bathroom floor where the grout has started to crack. The customer did the job and he said that the tile suppliers said to him that it would be fine to tile straight onto the chipboard with fastflex. Not so sure myself but never fixed direct onto chipboard as always used ply then tiled. Is fastflex ok to use direct onto chipboard? Cheers Ross

G

grumpygrouter

Fastflex is probably the best stuff you can use directly onto chipboard (along with Ardex 7001) though BAL don't recommend tiling straight onto chipboard at all.

Was the grout used a flexible grout or is there a lot of "bounce" in the floor?

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
:thumbsup: I'm with Grumps on this...........Fast flex is the most flexible of the Bal range of addys...............bet the grout was'nt :whatchutalkingabout

W

wetdec

Waterproof chipboard the green stuff for bathrooms contains wax. As a home warms up its possible for the waxes to release and so adhesive to pull away.

If you use an uncoupling membrane such as Durabase ci to prevent lateral cracking of your tiles and fix it with a BALL lino adhesive then you should be fine.

tilrt :thumbsup:

P

Perry

Fastflex is flexible but sounds like the floors even more flexible bal will tell you the floor has to be stable but without over laying it it probably wont be unless its something like 40mm chipboard on 300 centres and steel joists which most of the chipboard floors I tile are and I still use a decoupling matting,10mm backer board for me imo the best way :pete
and as wetdec points out the green stuff aint as good as the plain chipboard but i am not sure that Durabase ci would make the floor stable lol

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fred

Fastflex is flexible but sounds like the floors even more flexible bal will tell you the floor has to be stable but without over laying it it probably wont be unless its something like 40mm chipboard on 300 centres and steel joists which most of the chipboard floors I tile are and I still use a decoupling matting,10mm backer board for me imo the best way :pete
and as wetdec points out the green stuff aint as good as the plain chipboard lol

Pete, what is this matting mate?

Reply to Bal Fastlex onto chipboard!? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. This isn’t a sob story, just an unfortunate truth I have stretched myself to in inch...
Replies
Views
Hi all. I came across this forum searching for info so my first post. I'm renovating 1890's...
Replies
Views
Just seen Rocatex on uHeat.co.uk and thought hmmm that's a new one on me. Anybody used it yet...
Replies
Views
I recently got several loose/hollow tiles rebonded on my bathroom floor. Having left with...
Replies
Views
Hi folks, We're having our downstairs tiles installed soon, about 82m2 of 1.2x1.2m square...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen