Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Awkward wetroom floor. in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all,

got a job to start next week with a wetroom floor that is gonna be a bit of a challenge.

Situation is as follows:

A suspended floor with very little deflection if any.

1600x800 former tray going in that is going to be tiled in 16mm thick encaustic cement tiles envelope cut. these are going to run up the wall (on the 800mm side) and run along the floor to the end of the wall following this line. You following so far?
the rest of the floor (about another 6 sqr mtrs is to be tiled in 10mm thick 600x300 porcelain that will have to be finished at the same height as the encaustics. there is underfloor heating going underneath these and the encaustic tiles that are not on the former tray.

My plan was to install tray 32mm-35mm higher then existing floor boards, then tile backer board rest of room in 10mm backer board. then on the porcelain side install another 6mm backer board to allow for thickness difference in tiles. then lay the underfloor heating that will have to step down (chase in to backer board) to go under the encaustics. Then I want to put levelling compound over the wires which by the looks of it will have to be done in 2 stages: first, shutter in the porcelain side (highest side at the moment) and level over wires, then when that's set, go over the wires on the encaustic side using screws to get my exact height as can't afford this to be too high.

I'm not very good with computers otherwise I would try to do some sort of diagram to show what the situation is, maybe someone could advise.

Anyway my biggest concerns are:

1. Getting the heights right so the porcelain and encaustics end up being installed at the same height.
2. With the underfloor heating, different tiles and different thickness of substrates, what are the chances of any potential problems and are there any other possible ways in which you guys would tackle this?

Cheers.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Even if sealed? when they purchased them the suppliers said they would be suitable if sealed although I did question this when I went to job today

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
these quick scribbles might help to explain a bit. If anyone who has had more experience then me with encaustics can advise on if these are actually suitable for a wet area that would be much appreciated.

DSC06137.JPG DSC06138.JPG DSC06139.JPG DSC06140.JPG

S

Spare Tool

Evening all,

got a job to start next week with a wetroom floor that is gonna be a bit of a challenge.

Situation is as follows:

A suspended floor with very little deflection if any.

1600x800 former tray going in that is going to be tiled in 16mm thick encaustic cement tiles envelope cut. these are going to run up the wall (on the 800mm side) and run along the floor to the end of the wall following this line. You following so far?
the rest of the floor (about another 6 sqr mtrs is to be tiled in 10mm thick 600x300 porcelain that will have to be finished at the same height as the encaustics. there is underfloor heating going underneath these and the encaustic tiles that are not on the former tray.

My plan was to install tray 32mm-35mm higher then existing floor boards, then tile backer board rest of room in 10mm backer board. then on the porcelain side install another 6mm backer board to allow for thickness difference in tiles. then lay the underfloor heating that will have to step down (chase in to backer board) to go under the encaustics. Then I want to put levelling compound over the wires which by the looks of it will have to be done in 2 stages: first, shutter in the porcelain side (highest side at the moment) and level over wires, then when that's set, go over the wires on the encaustic side using screws to get my exact height as can't afford this to be too high.

I'm not very good with computers otherwise I would try to do some sort of diagram to show what the situation is, maybe someone could advise.

Anyway my biggest concerns are:

1. Getting the heights right so the porcelain and encaustics end up being installed at the same height.
2. With the underfloor heating, different tiles and different thickness of substrates, what are the chances of any potential problems and are there any other possible ways in which you guys would tackle this?

Cheers.
Less I'm missing something here, if you install the tray 32mm higher than existing floorboards then 16mm ins board rest of room this still gives you a 16mm step up to the tray, even with ufh and SLC say to a total of 10mm, the porc side still going to be 6mm lower instead of higher...no??

T

Time's Ran Out

I'd check with the supplier, they will be ok for a bathroom floor but to be cut to a former and on the wall ( weight issues aside ) I would not recommend such a porous tile even sealed as moisture will lie on the surface, get between the joints and stain the tile.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Less I'm missing something here, if you install the tray 32mm higher than existing floorboards then 16mm ins board rest of room this still gives you a 16mm step up to the tray, even with ufh and SLC say to a total of 10mm, the porc side still going to be 6mm lower instead of higher...no??
yeah sorry, i'm confusing myself! looking at more like 16-20mm depending on UFH thickness

Last edited:

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I'd check with the supplier, they will be ok for a bathroom floor but to be cut to a former and on the wall ( weight issues aside ) I would not recommend such a porous tile even sealed as moisture will lie on the surface, get between the joints and stain the tile.
I'll ring them tomorrow, cheers.

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
And weight
will be fine a mechanically fixing Tile backer boards

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Gave them a ring this morning, company called mosaic del sur, and they assured me that they are suitable for wetroom installations. However, they also told me not to pre-seal the tiles as it can cause a problem with leaving salt marks on the surface if not fixed, anyone heard of this? They also said that the customer has to expect the tiles to change in nature and appearance over time when water and soaps etc to penetrate the tile especially in hard water areas although this helps with sealing the tiles up. I've decided to install but have made the customer aware of all the potential issues.

T

Time's Ran Out

Not much more you can do apart from getting it in writing and asking the customer to sign your copy!
Some leave the sealing till the end because of efflorescence and I seal as I take them out the box!
The tiles will discolour over time but that could be weeks not months/ years as may be suggested and as for that helping to seal the tiles - I'am at a loss to see how strawberry shampoo will help with a patina build up!

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The guy I spoke to had a rather interesting french accent but I think what he was getting at was that dirt and grime over time will naturally seal the tiles and make them less porous as they would have done 100 years ago before any sealers where thought of. Can't see how that will help the customer in a few months when they can't clean them up. I'm getting everything in writing as you say as personally there is no way I would ever recommend these tiles on a wetroom floor. Problem is, when I told the customer yesterday that they might not be suitable, she was nearly in tears but they really should of consulted me before buying and designing the bathroom.

F

Flintstone

These tiles are so so porous and prone to staining, it's gonna look a mess within a few months I'm certain of it! Water will get past the surface and into the cement back and that's like the most absorbing material you can imagine

JMC tiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
These tiles are so so porous and prone to staining, it's gonna look a mess within a few months I'm certain of it! Water will get past the surface and into the cement back and that's like the most absorbing material you can imagine
I completely agree

Reply to Awkward wetroom floor. in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks