Search the forum,

Discuss ATS blade, Grinder, in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com.

C

Concrete guy

Well u have to pay for quality if u think of the price of of d24000 or a 10m it's not unreasonable to pay for a quality blade I think montolit make the DNA that fits big wet saws

The issue we have though is we need to manufacture these blades in minimum production runs that generally run into the 1000's of units. That's fine at 115mm & 125mm for grinders as we sell as many as 30 - 50 a day.

At 250mm though if we're only selling 1 or 2 a week I'm reluctant to invest £30,000 into stock in one particular blade size that might take 10 years to sell.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The issue we have though is we need to manufacture these blades in minimum production runs that generally run into the 1000's of units. That's fine at 115mm & 125mm for grinders as we sell as many as 30 - 50 a day.

At 250mm though if we're only selling 1 or 2 a week I'm reluctant to invest £30,000 into stock in one particular blade size that might take 10 years to sell.
Yeah That makes sense

C

Concrete guy

Maybe they could knock up some samples WINK WINK WINK and my wet saws would be so happy haha

We've tried that route before and the factories will do it for us. But we need to pay the mold cost for the new production run and pay for the new sized blank centres to be manufactured. So even a "test" costs circa US$5000, for say 500 blades.

This is the reason why the Montolits are a few hundred pounds, they just don't sell in enough volume to get an economy of scale.

When we visit the factories (in China) it's not uncommon for a production run to be in progress for a big brand, say Bosch or Dewalt. These runs are Millions of units and we have to squeeze our "tiny" orders in between the big branded stuff.

We've even been to one of the factories that produces Marcrist products, but once they found out we were UK based they wouldn't sell to us, which was reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Screenshot_2016-09-13-21-49-40.png

C

Concrete guy

It's worth a try.

We can buy off the shelf stuff like the RUBI blade above, but if we're unbranded (or ATS branded) it needs to be substantially cheaper to attract customers.

If a Montolit DNA is £150 and the ATS version comes in at £120, you're going to buy the DNA every time, it's branded and trusted.

Now if ours comes in at £60 that's a different story and a big saving.

Ultimately it comes down to how many we'd sell. We've been asked and researched a number of products that we've decided not to go ahead with due to concerns over sales volumes.

O

Old Mod

This design of blade is quite good but it does suffer the problem of being particularly fragile.
Snag it, and you'll probably tear a chunk out of it.
I know of a fixer on here who had snagged both my pro Gres and his own Rubi viper and torn chunks out of both.
And the Extol industries version of the same blade suffers the same problem.

C

Concrete guy

This design of blade is quite good but it does suffer the problem of being particularly fragile.
Snag it, and you'll probably tear a chunk out of it.
I know of a fixer on here who had snagged both my pro Gres and his own Rubi viper and torn chunks out of both.
And the Extol industries version of the same blade suffers the same problem.

That's interesting.

I can see that happening because these are really quite thin.

They are also prone to knocks.

Reply to ATS blade, Grinder, in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen