Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss ATS blade, Grinder, in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

C

Concrete guy

I'd like a blade with that design on it to fit my sigma 10m and my dewalt d24000 what's the chance of that ?

Possibly, but the larger these get the more disproportionatley expensive they become. Then conversly the fewer we sell.

Having had a mooch through eBay I'm only finding these in 115mm or 125mm size.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Well u have to pay for quality if u think of the price of of d24000 or a 10m it's not unreasonable to pay for a quality blade I think montolit make the DNA that fits big wet saws

S

Stef

The technical name for running it in concrete block (or anything very abrasive for that matter) is "dressing" the blade. It's also a good tip for bring back to life blades that may appear worn or that have overheated.

It's wearing away some of the sintered metal bond and exposing new diamond, which then cuts much more efficently.
I was doing brick slips a couple of weeks ago & need to dress my turbo blade again as its not cutting great.

C

Concrete guy

Well u have to pay for quality if u think of the price of of d24000 or a 10m it's not unreasonable to pay for a quality blade I think montolit make the DNA that fits big wet saws

The issue we have though is we need to manufacture these blades in minimum production runs that generally run into the 1000's of units. That's fine at 115mm & 125mm for grinders as we sell as many as 30 - 50 a day.

At 250mm though if we're only selling 1 or 2 a week I'm reluctant to invest £30,000 into stock in one particular blade size that might take 10 years to sell.

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The issue we have though is we need to manufacture these blades in minimum production runs that generally run into the 1000's of units. That's fine at 115mm & 125mm for grinders as we sell as many as 30 - 50 a day.

At 250mm though if we're only selling 1 or 2 a week I'm reluctant to invest £30,000 into stock in one particular blade size that might take 10 years to sell.
Yeah That makes sense

C

Concrete guy

Maybe they could knock up some samples WINK WINK WINK and my wet saws would be so happy haha

We've tried that route before and the factories will do it for us. But we need to pay the mold cost for the new production run and pay for the new sized blank centres to be manufactured. So even a "test" costs circa US$5000, for say 500 blades.

This is the reason why the Montolits are a few hundred pounds, they just don't sell in enough volume to get an economy of scale.

When we visit the factories (in China) it's not uncommon for a production run to be in progress for a big brand, say Bosch or Dewalt. These runs are Millions of units and we have to squeeze our "tiny" orders in between the big branded stuff.

We've even been to one of the factories that produces Marcrist products, but once they found out we were UK based they wouldn't sell to us, which was reasonable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kyle Knowles

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Screenshot_2016-09-13-21-49-40.png

C

Concrete guy

It's worth a try.

We can buy off the shelf stuff like the RUBI blade above, but if we're unbranded (or ATS branded) it needs to be substantially cheaper to attract customers.

If a Montolit DNA is £150 and the ATS version comes in at £120, you're going to buy the DNA every time, it's branded and trusted.

Now if ours comes in at £60 that's a different story and a big saving.

Ultimately it comes down to how many we'd sell. We've been asked and researched a number of products that we've decided not to go ahead with due to concerns over sales volumes.

O

Old Mod

This design of blade is quite good but it does suffer the problem of being particularly fragile.
Snag it, and you'll probably tear a chunk out of it.
I know of a fixer on here who had snagged both my pro Gres and his own Rubi viper and torn chunks out of both.
And the Extol industries version of the same blade suffers the same problem.

C

Concrete guy

This design of blade is quite good but it does suffer the problem of being particularly fragile.
Snag it, and you'll probably tear a chunk out of it.
I know of a fixer on here who had snagged both my pro Gres and his own Rubi viper and torn chunks out of both.
And the Extol industries version of the same blade suffers the same problem.

That's interesting.

I can see that happening because these are really quite thin.

They are also prone to knocks.

Reply to ATS blade, Grinder, in the Tile Tools | any Country any make any model area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks