Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss anhydrite floor screed in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

barno101

We are our wits end ,,
We had an Anhydrate Floor screed laid at 40 mm and was left for 6 weeks to dry ,, the problem we got is the tiler laid the porcelain tiles on the floor he primed it ,and use rapid set flexi adhesive, followed all the correct procedures .
The plumber ,then turned on the underfloor heating and left it on full blast and was on for a long time , he never raised it slowly like he should have day by day . now the tiles have lifted .
The plumbers says the floor wasn't dry enough and thats what caused them to lift .
but we are saying he should have turned it up slowly ..

Any advise please

Cheers

I

Ian

Could you give us a bit more information if possible please. Was the heating commissioned (turned on and run up/down) prior to tiling? Was the floor sanded to remove any laitence prior to tiling? What adhesive was used? How long after the tiling was completed was the heating turned on?

T

Time's Ran Out

It's always the plumbers fault! :smilewinkgrin:
Did you know all this information at the time and just let the professional handle it or is this information gleaned from forums such as this?

S

Stef

Could you give us a bit more information if possible please. Was the heating commissioned (turned on and run up/down) prior to tiling? Was the floor sanded to remove any laitence prior to tiling? What adhesive was used? How long after the tiling was completed was the heating turned on?

As said here a bit more info would help.
It doesn't sound great to be honest!!

B

barno101

All the latency was taken off ,,the tile adhesive was the one recommended by for these floors, BAL rapid set flexi as far as i know . the heating was turn on a bout 2 after tiling and it was put on full blast

J

Just Rizzle

I think there both to blame I never use cement based adhesives on anhidrite floor as there is always going to be a reaction. anofix by tilemaster my preferred choice ,I also never tile a floor befor its commissioned. why didn't your tiler recommend a decoupling mat. also your plumber should of known to slowly raise the floors temp.how big an area was it?

B

barno101

the area was 144m2,it was a new build house, there is a an ongoing argument that the plumber is saying the floor was not dry enough ,, but we are saying if the heating was raised gradually as it is supposed to ,then the tile may have not come up ,, but if the floor was still damp the plumber is saying that ,that is the problem ...
there is only about 60% of the tiles that have com loose ,, and the grout has cracked where there is a congregation of pipes on the underfloor heating as it goes into the manifold s
There are three manifolds in the house

B

barno101

he prepped the floor properly i.e. two coats of primer after cleaning the floor area of any residue ,,the tiler has done everything right .. the plumber is saying that the floor area was still damp ...

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
so many errors in one small floor... Where to begin.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The biggest mistake here was NOT, heating the floor BEFORE tiling.
even with 6 weeks drying time, his time of year it would not have been dry.

was the screed tested for moisture??

i have made this now to dry our screeds if the boiler can't be commissioned in time for tiling. Can be connected to manifold.
image.jpg image.jpg

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just to add to the comments already posted , cement based adhesive is fine on these screeds if the screed is dried and primed correctly , so NO ! You will not always get a reaction with cement adhesive to calcium sulphate screeds .. You get a reaction if there's still moisture or it's not prepped properly ..

As as for your situation , then the screed should have been commissioned before tiling commenced and your tiler should have known this.

But and this is a problem also caused by the plumber just whacking on the heating , that is ludicrous ... If he had turned it on very low and increased it in small amounts , then as long as the floor was dry to start with , I think your tiles would have stayed down... Anhydrite screeds are stronger than a cement based screed and not prone to cracking like a cement screed does when first heating them , hence why a heated floor should be commissioned first as all heated screeds should be really but you might have been fine heating slowly as I said , the argument is , was the screed dry and was the plumber notified that the heating should be increased slowly ?...

not it a good situation to be in but it does seem the fault could lay with both the tiler and the plumber.

Last edited:

Reply to anhydrite floor screed in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks