Search the forum,

Discuss anhydrite floor screed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The biggest mistake here was NOT, heating the floor BEFORE tiling.
even with 6 weeks drying time, his time of year it would not have been dry.

was the screed tested for moisture??

i have made this now to dry our screeds if the boiler can't be commissioned in time for tiling. Can be connected to manifold.
image.jpg image.jpg

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Reaction score
Just to add to the comments already posted , cement based adhesive is fine on these screeds if the screed is dried and primed correctly , so NO ! You will not always get a reaction with cement adhesive to calcium sulphate screeds .. You get a reaction if there's still moisture or it's not prepped properly ..

As as for your situation , then the screed should have been commissioned before tiling commenced and your tiler should have known this.

But and this is a problem also caused by the plumber just whacking on the heating , that is ludicrous ... If he had turned it on very low and increased it in small amounts , then as long as the floor was dry to start with , I think your tiles would have stayed down... Anhydrite screeds are stronger than a cement based screed and not prone to cracking like a cement screed does when first heating them , hence why a heated floor should be commissioned first as all heated screeds should be really but you might have been fine heating slowly as I said , the argument is , was the screed dry and was the plumber notified that the heating should be increased slowly ?...

not it a good situation to be in but it does seem the fault could lay with both the tiler and the plumber.

Last edited:
J

Just Rizzle

I disagree with dave no one these days should be mixing. theres plenty of products out there there that are compatable with the appropriate substrates. you wouldn't mix crossply tires with radials on your car, so why use cement based adhesives on anhydrite its a no brainer . like for like every time

B

barno101

Cheers for the info Dave ,, Ive got a meeting in the morning with both the plumber and tiler to get to the bottom of this ,,and I don't want to pass blame on any one of them ,but I need to get to a decision as to whether it is the floor being damp ,,or the heating being put on too quick too high temperature ,, at the end of the day the tiles have to be replaced and somebody has to pay for this ,,, if it was a small area say 20 to 30 m2 I would pay myself but this is a big area
Cheers

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Reaction score
I disagree with dave no one these days should be mixing. theres plenty of products out there there that are compatable with the appropriate substrates. you wouldn't mix crossply tires with radials on your car, so why use cement based adhesives on anhydrite its a no brainer . like for like every time

Can I ask what you used before gypsum adhesives ray ?

yes I agree with gypsum to gypsum now we have the choice , just your statement on cement based adhesives was incorrect. Imo ..

Last edited:
B

barno101

Just an update ,,
Had a meeting with Tiler and Plumber ,and after a few strong words from all parties involved ,,we came to a decision, that they were both at fault and we have decided to ,,all of us put it right and retile the area ...
Tiler for not checking dampness ,, plumber for whacking the heating on to high ( and leaving it on for 5 days )..
Thanks again for all your comments

Reply to anhydrite floor screed in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen