Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss 20mm brick slips on 12mm ply in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Jamorgan90

If you use SBR and water at 50/50 there should be no issues with flexiable cement based adhesive over ply. Most failures occur due to inadequate preparation. Remember the ‘p, prior planning and preparation prevents **** poor performance.
Would you recommend using tile masters prime grip first then ?

P

Perry

You fix brick slips for a living? I have seen jobs that have been there for 20 years and no problems on ply. I have also seen jobs done by the same builders after a day on ply and the slips are on the floor. if its in your house and they are not likely to hurt anyone if they fall off. It may be worth the risk 90% if the ply has been fixed correct you will get away with it. I fix them in shops etc so if they fell on someone I would be sued for alot of money. Also I find it hard to see that the ply couldn't be removed. look at this link.
river-island | - https://www.brickit.biz/projects/river-island-2/

Last edited by a moderator:

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Would you recommend using tile masters prime grip first then ?
Sorry don’t have any experience of that product.you could check with there tech people. Also give the ply a good key, l used 40 grit sandpaper, and a rub over with damp sponge, before applying the SBR.

J

Jamorgan90

You fix brick slips for a living? I have seen jobs that have been there for 20 years and no problems on ply. I have also seen jobs done by the same builders after a day on ply and the slips are on the floor. if its in your house and they are not likely to hurt anyone if they fall off. It may be worth the risk 90% if the ply has been fixed correct you will get away with it. I fix them in shops etc so if they fell on someone I would be sued for alot of money. Also I find it hard to see that the ply couldn't be removed. look at this link.
river-island | - https://www.brickit.biz/projects/river-island-2/
I have fitted thousand of m2 of brickslips for many shops. Pret , body shop and miller & carter. Mostly onto plywood and haven't had a problem but I am always looking for new and better ways

O

One Day

The issue is the ply these days is rubbish and seems contaminated with oil, wax or something which prevents cement keying like it used to. There are flooring grade plys now, but they are rare and expensive.

Seems like a good idea to sand,wipe and prime but really isn't it faster and safer to just overboard with 6mm of something more suitable?

Ply just isn't what is used to be...

O

One Day

no such thing as a silly question on a forum surely?

...plenty of silly replies though!
(especially in recent days)

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
External grade plywood with hardwood veneer most hardwoods will contain natural oils, which can make it difficult to bond to - hence the reason to key and prime well.

Reply to 20mm brick slips on 12mm ply in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks