Discuss 20mm brick slips on 12mm ply in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

J

Jamorgan90

hi all,

Looking for some advice. Tiling 20mm thick brick slips onto 12mm ply wood on the walls. It is fixed very well. I am just wondering what prep people would do and what adhesive you would use. Changing the ply for plasterboard or hardi is not a option.

O

One Day

Ply is not suitable these days. Everywhere I look I see failures involving ply.
Save yourself the risk and overboard it with 6mm wedi board or similar. (even dare I say it - 6mm hardibacker)

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If your sticking with the ply, a flexiable cement based adhesive, prime well and apply slurry or burn a tight coat of flexi adhesive on to ply . Before applying slips.

L

LM

Why do something that is more than likely to fail?
Either replace or over board the ply.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If you use SBR and water at 50/50 there should be no issues with flexiable cement based adhesive over ply. Most failures occur due to inadequate preparation. Remember the ‘p, prior planning and preparation prevents **** poor performance.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would be confident enough to do it,( no problem) it’s up to the OP.
He said changing or over boarding is not an option.

Bond

TF
Arms
Reaction score
If done correctly, there should not be any problems.
In March of this year, done a job with random stone slips ( up to 30 mm thick) on a feature, behind a free standing log burning stove. Was a bit apprehensive initially, however it worked , a that was with open joints ( without grout or pointing).

Reply to 20mm brick slips on 12mm ply in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks