Search the forum,

Discuss Workmanship in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

L

LIZ

Hello,

Having A Bathroom Tiled But Worried About Workmanship And Found This Site And Was Looking For Some Help.

Tiler Started Yesterday And Had Done Most Of The Walls To Ceiling Height. He Left At 4 Oclock Last Evening. He Had Something On Today And Won't Be Back Till Tomorrow, So He Told My Husband If He Wanted He Could Remove The Spacers To Save Time. While Doing This He Noticed Some Movement And Then While Just Pulling Out A Spacer A Full Tile Fell Off And Smashed. Although Ther Was Adhesive On The Wall None Seemed To Be On The Tile And Many Of The Rest Sound Hollow When Tapped. Tiler Said Sometimes It Takes 48 Hours For Adhesive To Go Off And Not To Worry.

I Am Very Worried!

Thank You

D

DHTiling

No matter how long they have been up liz they should still not fall off by removing the spacers if they were fixed correctly...has he dot and dabbed the tiles...( spots of adhesive) or has he using a combed trowel...did he prime the walls..if so any idea what he used....if you can give us some more answers we should be able to help you more...

B

brian c

he has obviously not bedded the tile in to the wall,i would be concerned as if the walls had paint on them and he hasnt removed it then the tiles will not adhere to the wall properly,the tiler should take the spacers out himself.

on the otherhand it could just be that part of the wall thats not fixed properly,i hope you dont have any problems......Bri

L

LIZ

Adhesive Is Ribbed On The Wall But Nothing Really On Back Of Tile. Checked All Walls And Getting Hollow Sound On Majority Of Tiles.

C

CLAYS TILES

sounds like he's dot n dabbed to me!
did he leave his horse outside???:yes:

D

DHTiling

Adhesive Is Ribbed On The Wall But Nothing Really On Back Of Tile. Checked All Walls And Getting Hollow Sound On Majority Of Tiles.

Even tho he has ribbed onto the walls doesnt suggest there is a good fix....what type of tile is it.?..ceramic/porcelain etc tec...did he prime the walls etc..it could be due to a number of things really.. the hollow sounds is deffo not enought sticky contact..but adhesive not sticking to the tiles could be a number of things including as he mentioned setting times....

G

Gazzer

Do you know what adhesive he used?
What sort of tile is it?
Could the tiles have been wet or even cold ( ie left outside over night)?
It could be a simple matter of that he spread to much of the wall and it skinned over before he could fix.
Either way i wouldnt be paying him until you are totally happy.

F

Fekin

Could have been a fine layer of dust on the back of the tiles that are stopping adhesive to stick to the tile.

M

murf

don't panic yet. its quite possible to have a tile fall out if a spacer is wedged too tight. especially when the adhesive isn't fully cured. point out your concerns to him and make sure he guarantees his work.

Reply to Workmanship in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen