Search the forum,

Discuss Wooden Floor height in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bathroomboy

Need to over board usually use ply, but putting ufh then some latex slc and on top that of that Ditra, will I be better using a backer board instead of ply to keep the height down, will it be strong enough and whats reccomended.

D

DHTiling

What are you over boarding and how big is the floor..? And why are you using ditra..?..

S

Sully

And Ditra would normally sit under the UFH - covered in a 3mm bed of slc ensuring that the cables don't come in contact with the ditra.

D

DHTiling

Sully..Ditra can be installed both ways......but it performs better installed above the UFH....

quote from schluter..

Schlüter-DITRA is also recommended for uncoupling of radiant heated floors consisting of thin electric heating mats. Schlüter-DITRA may be installed either above or below the heating mat. However, the uncoupling function is more effective if Schlüter-DITRA is installed above the heating mat.

B

bathroomboy

It's t&g wooden floor which Idon't want to rip out due do it going under walls etc.

S

Sully

Sully..Ditra can be installed both ways......but it performs better installed above the UFH....

quote from schluter..

Good to know Dave - I've only used it to overcome issues with new screeds (fast track, whereby the screed hasn't had the full cure time) and in that case, it sits below the UFH - according to Schluter tech. It needs to be flooded with slc as the cables shouldn't come in contact with it. Out of interest, in what spec would you sit it above the UFH? I also assume the cables would need to be flooded with slc as again, the ditra shouldn't come in contact with them as far as I'm aware.

As for using it to overcome floorboard movement, if that's what you are planning Bathroomboy - that's not what it's designed to do. I personally would overboard with a tilebacker board / marmox insullation boards, fix mats, flood with SLC and tile (although some guys are happy to fix directly over ufh mats with adhesive - I can't see the benefit or justify the risks of damaging the cables).

B

bathroomboy

Thanks Sully how thick is the marmox board? and is it cemented down in any way or just screwed like ply 150m/m centres.

D

DHTiling

Out of interest, in what spec would you sit it above the UFH?

With piped( wet heat) or Electric UFH.....This allows the full functions of the uncoupling part of ditra...

S

Sully

With piped( wet heat) or Electric UFH.....This allows the full functions of the uncoupling part of ditra...

So we are not talking about new screed solutions here (as Schluter advise the opposite i.e ditra, slc and then mats) - are you referring to say old screeds which have settled with fractures?

S

Sully

Thanks Sully how thick is the marmox board? and is it cemented down in any way or just screwed like ply 150m/m centres.

I'd suggest 10mm (as the 6mm won't help with stabalising the floor). I'd fix it with a combo of addy and screwfixings - bolt and braces which reduce risks. I use aquapanel type washers to secure the marmox. Don't forget to secure the boards to the joists first.

D

DHTiling

So we are not talking about new screed solutions here (as Schluter advise the opposite i.e ditra, slc and then mats) - are you referring to say old screeds which have settled with fractures?

Obvioulsy on a new screed then you need Ditra to work in another way as well......"vapour equalisation" then YES!! you would put electric ufh on top....but wet heat is in the screed .....

Incidently whilst on the subject of ditra and new screeds....what adhesive do you use for sticking the Ditra down on new screeds..?..

This will help newcomers to ditra as well...

D

DHTiling

YES doug......needs to be a slow setting highly flexible adhesive.....this will accomodate moisture from the new screed better than rapid setting ones....and cope with screed/concrete shrinkage...

Reply to Wooden Floor height in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen