Currently reading:
white rapid set flexi

Search the forum,

Discuss white rapid set flexi in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

BAL TAS Dave

This should really be a Forum for Tilers, not a place for manufacturers to plug their products but there seems to be a lot of references to S1 adhesives lately and a lot of confusion out there, so here's a short version to clarify!

Firstly, S1 and S2 are defined in BS EN 12002:2002 as additional classifications for adhesives. In effect, they describe how much an adhesive will deform in order to accommodate a limited amount of movement after tile fixing. But, these are optional standards and no adhesive has to meet either classification.

In simple terms, an unclassified adhesive might or might not be as deformable and you just won’t know until you try it. If its S1 rated, it’s deformable. If its S2 rated, it’s even more deformable. However the deformability test does not take into account flexural strength as part of the test - which manufacturers more often use to promote ‘flexibility’ of the adhesive - nor does it test adhesives with elastomeric properties (such as BAL Fast Flex) which exceeds the S2 requirement by a factor of three!

We’ve been making all of these adhesives for years and therefore have no reason to push fixers towards any particular product. Some applications require greater flexural strength in the adhesive and some will require greater deformability and the two can easily be confused. If we’re asked which is best, we ask for details of the job, then say which is the right type in that case. If anyone wants to know all the technical details, just call us on 0845 600 1222.

Hope this helps to resolve your queries ...Happy fixing!

Reply to white rapid set flexi in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Suggestion
Post a New Thread for Each Tiling Job Completed. Rather than using the Show us Your Work Thread - which has more than 500,000 views, and thousands of posts to scroll through - we thought it would...
Replies
Views
Hello, after watching so many instructional videos and planing, I just can't understand how to tile a simple drywall construction in our bathroom. I got some good advice here so I hope you guys...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for advice on fixing a few problems that a professional left me with. He of course has not responded to...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.