Search the forum,

Discuss where is the best place to buy Travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Hi Gooner

As a fellow South Wales boy - I've just layed some fabulous Travertine - 30m2 on the floor - 4 sizes Roman Opus pattern from Mandarin Stone - Newport Road Cardiff. Looks fab - Pictures next week if you want. - It cost about £45 / m although my trade client purchased the Trav direct. This was really good with some beautiful graining and not too dark. Take a look, its only 30mins from you.

:8:

Hi Richard, I've used Mandarin Stone a couple of times too for the larger Travertine jobs in both filled and unfilled, delivery bang on time, well packed, good quality stone and I live in Northants!! My website front page has the unfilled from Mandarin. :thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

I have seen some stone from mandarin.. not the best if you know what your looking for..

There is too much stone kicking about that suppliers sell and say it is first grade when it is far from it...

Travertine is a dog eat dog market and the public know no different from a commercial grade to a premium first grade, all they see is the price tag, hence we get to work with cheap quality stone which is only really suitable for wall tiling because of the amount and size of filler.

My supplier buys direct from turkey and only gets the first grades, he has no interest in trying to compete with budget travertine sellers or any other stone types.

So please don't be guided by price and think you are getting a good stone because you cannot buy first grade direct from turkey for what some comps are selling commercial and saying it is first grades.

A pet hate of mine is cheap nasty stone..:snobby:

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I have seen some stone from mandarin.. not the best if you know what your looking for..

There is too much stone kicking about that suppliers sell and say it is first grade when it is far from it...

Travertine is a dog eat dog market and the public know no different from a commercial grade to a premium first grade, all they see is the price tag, hence we get to work with cheap quality stone which is only really suitable for wall tiling because of the amount and size of filler.

My supplier buys direct from turkey and only gets the first grades, he has no interest in trying to compete with budget travertine sellers or any other stone types.

So please don't be guided by price and think you are getting a good stone because you cannot buy first grade direct from turkey for what some comps are selling commercial and saying it is first grades.

A pet hate of mine is cheap nasty stone..:snobby:

Hi Dave

Have you got a link for your supplier please?

D

DHTiling

New website is under construction but his present site is still active...

Perfect Home & Garden - Introduction

There are some good suppliers out there and i'm not saying mandarin are not because they sell some good stone but it is these internet sellers etc that i am on about..

I saw an add the other day saying 60x40 travertine.. what it looks like god only knows.. for £10 a mtr...:mad2:

R

Richard Edwards

Thanks Dave - I'll look up this supplier and see what they have. Pehaps ask for a catalogue etc

I'm not saying that Mandarin are the best, they are not. I bought some Limestone - at £112m2 retail inc Vat and it is superb compared with Mandarin Stone. This was Spanish and really nice. Some of the French Limestones are famous for quality.

Travertine I agree varys from poor to fabulous. All I'm saying is that Trav. I layed last week was good with very little filler (floor) and some beauftiful variations of shade and features and as Gooner wanted a Light Shade he could look there.

I will check this 'Perfect Home and Garden site and take a look see.

Thanks Dave
:thumbsup:

Ken Bruty

TF
Arms
Reaction score

There are some good suppliers out there and i'm not saying mandarin are not because they sell some good stone but it is these internet sellers etc that i am on about..

I saw an add the other day saying 60x40 travertine.. what it looks like god only knows.. for £10 a mtr...:mad2:

£10/m2 bloomin 'eck!!! :yikes::death:

F

faithhealer

top stone and top bloke,David Sowereby is the man to speak too

P

Pebbs

Im going to throw my scale ruler in about Mandarin Stone. Ive had contracts in the past where the architect/interior designer specced these people up, and every single time the client has been unhappy with the quality of the stone. You pay your price you take your chances. You buy any stone that comes in polystrene packs and your opening a can of worms. If you can't see what your buying beforehand leave well alone, theres a reason for that.

Pebbs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to where is the best place to buy Travertine in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen