Discuss When Do You Uncouple? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Hi Stef,

Just reading through these posts.......so I was just having a chat with one of the bal technical advisors last week and I just wanted to know there method of fixing onto calcium sulphate screeds as every tile fixer on here seems to use tilemaster anhyfix but just have a read through this PDF and let me know your thoughts......this is coming from the largest and longest serving manufacturers of tile adhesives in the country and a gypsum based adhesive isn't even in the installation process.......apparently this is British standards..........personally I fix bal rapid mat down with a gypsum based adhesive then a flexible cement based adhesive onto the mat.........every screeding contractor I seem to come across states that we must use a gypsum based adhesive.........why is this not British standards is what I'd like to know.........any feedback on this would be interesting......thanks

Mark

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Sorry, here is the PDF from building adhesives ltd :thumbsup:

Attachments

• TN 33.15 Tiling to Anhydrite Screeds.pdf
    328.5 KB · Views: 22
M

MW Smith Ceramics

Not sure if I've linked this PDF correctly to the site......let me know if not & I'll try again ......Cheers

S

Stef

It is not in British standards because British standards haven't quite caught up with the gypsum based adhesives.
These new screeds (15+yrs) are just being introduced into this country & they haven't quite caught up yet.
I take my info from Alan (Ajax) on here & what he says is gospel to me as he was one of the 1st to bring these screeds into the UK.
That's good enough for me..

S

Stef

I've phoned Mapei, Weber & Bal about these screeds & they have all told me that one coat of primer & then any cement based addy will suffice.
In my experience this is not good enough as you have to create a barrier between cement & gypsum & that entails 4/5 coats of primer..

H

hmtiling

I've phoned Mapei, Weber & Bal about these screeds & they have all told me that one coat of primer & then any cement based addy will suffice.
In my experience this is not good enough as you have to create a barrier between cement & gypsum & that entails 4/5 coats of primer..
Weber have done gypsum based adhesive in mainland Europe for a good few years. Very strange that they give conflicting advice in the UK to the rest of Europe.

Reply to When Do You Uncouple? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay