Discuss When Do You Uncouple? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

That gypsum based adhesive scares me too impish!.....don't mind laying the decoupling membrane with it ( Bal rapid mat mostly ) then flexi cement based addy
I've done a few gypsum floors & give me them any day over a cement screed.
Anhyfix for adhesive & as long as all rules are followed then there's nothing to be worried about.

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Anhyfix for adhesive & as long as all rules are followed then there's nothing to be worried about.[/QUOTE
Anhyfix for adhesive & as long as all rules are followed then there's nothing to be worried about.[/QUOTE

Are gypsum based adhesives recommended with British standards??.....I'm sure even if it comes to annhy screeds then British standards recommend priming then cement base addy:confused2:

Can any of you technical gurus confirm???

S

Stef

I'm not sure what British standards state but why take the chance of putting cement in contact with gypsum when they are not compatible unless you create a barrier between the 2?

M

MW Smith Ceramics

Totally see where you are coming from there Stef........it just baffles me why gypsum based adhesives are not mentioned within British standards regarding tiling onto gypsum screeds, so you have Ardex, Bal & Mapei that all recommend priming then using cement based addy and this is British standards they follow, so regarding gypsum based adhesive who makes the rules

W

White Room

Totally see where you are coming from there Stef........it just baffles me why gypsum based adhesives are not mentioned within British standards regarding tiling onto gypsum screeds, so you have Ardex, Bal & Mapei that all recommend priming then using cement based addy and this is British standards they follow, so regarding gypsum based adhesive who makes the rules

They probably haven't caught up yet or haven't a clue about usage of it....

S

Stef

They probably haven't caught up yet or haven't a clue about usage of it....
Probably don't know about it.
I've only done one anhydrite floor with a cement addy, I gave it 4 or 5 coats of primer & im still paranoid about it.
It's still stuck solid but I wouldn't just rely on 1 or 2 coats of primer as manufacturers state as I don't think your creating that barrier between the 2.
Anhyfix is a superb addy & sticks like the proverbial.

F

Flintstone

I struggle to see the use of uncoupling unless your perhaps using fragile stone tiles. As said by some one else, I wouldn't feel happy laying it over floorboards when you could board it instead which would probably take a fraction longer to do

O

One Day

But if you don't need to add strength, and only need protection from lateral stress, why bother over-boarding?

S

Stef

Good discussion from both sides.
I've started using more thermal boards than Hardie as the foam in the boards will slightly decouple the substrate, this is only my view don't take it as gospel,
I used Ditra on caberdeck flooring & had problems with a bit of grout cracking, Ditra fixed with af200, I couldn't overboard as we were tight to the front door.
In America they overboard with OSB then fix Ditra to everything.

J

J Sid

I struggle to see the use of uncoupling unless your perhaps using fragile stone tiles. As said by some one else, I wouldn't feel happy laying it over floorboards when you could board it instead which would probably take a fraction longer to do
I have in the past laid no more ply over boards and had It fail, the boards cracked along some of the wood joints..... Hence I use membrane now.
I would add I feel HB is a better product than NMP and prefer the fixing method for HB, feel it gives a stronger finished floor.

Dhtiling

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Here where I live everything is wood subfloor, so most everything gets a membrane. If a floor needs added strength we do that with plywood then a membrane. Ditra or any other product is nice because it is lightweight so easier on the body to install. Are membranes overkill in most cases, sure, but people who call for work have seen the marketing and ask for it usually.

F

Flintstone

A high amount of regular Joe blogs customers aren't over the moon about the cost of boarding never mind adding a mat on top. Would probably loose loads of jobs if I insisted on both of those things. Boarding for me bridges all joints in floor boards etc with something solid.

O

One Day

If a potential customer won't listen to and accept my advice on how a job should be done, then they never make it to 'customer' stage. Why bother if they won't play it your way?

F

Flintstone

I agree with you totally. I was referring a bit to dhtiling saying he puts a mat on every wooden floor. - no need.

Reply to When Do You Uncouple? in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22