Search the forum,

Discuss What's the best flexible grout to use? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

sorry lyn , it was just my terminology there..i meant he should definitely have used flexible grout or normal grout with an additive .......dave..

L

Lyn

Replacing grout this week and grout caulk

Hello all,
You were very helpful to me concerning this new tile job done in my kitchen, hallway and bathroom with a porcelain tile. The grout has hairline cracks throughout the project. The tiler said he would replace the grout with flexible grout.

He is scheduled to finally come this Wednesday, November 14. I am concerned that he might try to convince us to let him fix sections of the floor rather than the entire job, since there are some areas that aren't cracked.

I have two concerns. First, I fear the color will be different and noticeable. Second, is it true that when you pull grout out in a section and replace it with new grout, that there may be a tendency for the grout to crack again where the old and the new meet?

Also, I read something about a grout caulk that works if the grout line isn't more than 1/4 inch. Since we have hairline cracking throughout the floor, I'm wondering if this would be a good idea.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts!

Lyn

D

DHTiling

best job lyn is to remove the old grout and get him to re-do the whole floor ..then there will be no difference in grout colour....even if its the same make lyn , flexible grout dries different to normal anyway........

G

GazTech

The grout must be replaced throughout,one mix is never the same as another...all old grout must be totally removed...hope this helps....Gaz
----
SNAP !!!..........lol

Last edited by a moderator:
L

Lyn

Grout caulk

Thanks for your professional advice!:yes:

But what about the grout caulk? Is that a good or bad idea to use? The grout lines are 1/4 inches. Since we have hairline cracks throughout the project, I read that grout caulk might be better to avoid further cracking.

Have you used it and should I consider it?

Lyn

D

DHTiling

it would be a very expensive way of doin it lyn..plus its not a lifetime product....it can deteriorate when washing the floor with detergents etc....

L

Lyn

flexible grout-- really the solution?

The porcelain tile appears to be holding up well. But the hairline cracks are scattered throughout the job. I figure it must be from some movement to have caused it. Will the flexible grout really make a difference? I'm afraid he will redo the whole floor and we might see it crack again.

Lyn :huh2:

Reply to What's the best flexible grout to use? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen