Search the forum,

Discuss what size trowels in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

H

harry030907

what size knotched trowels are most commonly used by a proffesional tiler for walls and floors? and would they be square or round knotch cheers guys.:thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

For me I have a 3mm, 4.5mm, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm square notch, Bal Thinbed/solid bed trowel and a 10mm half round for solid bed fixing for floors.

H

hillhead

Hi Harry,
i personally use 6mm on kitchen splashbacks, 8mm on bathroom walls unless walls are bad then 10mm.all these square notch.
Floors range mostly from 10mm to 13mm square or round notch,round notch gives a better take from my experience.

H

harry030907

thanks guys, does it also matter what size knotched trowels you use when laying different size tiles? hillhead what do you mean about the walls being 10mm in bathroom?cheers :thumbsup:

G

grumpygrouter

Harry, as a general rule of thumb, match the notch size of the trowel to the thickness of the tiles to be fixed. You can vary the size of the notch depending on the overall size of the tile and condition of the walls. i.e. if the walls are a bit lumpy go up in size so that you can have an adequate bed thickness. If the walls/surface is billiard table smooth, you may get away with a smaller notch size as you will still get good coverage for a given tile size.

C

charlie1

Hi Harry,

kitchen splashbacks you sould use a 6mm. Bathroom use 10mm unless walls are in really good condition then you can drop to an 8mm. But as grumpy say's match the trowel size to the tile size ie- if you are setting tiles larger then 300x300 then the minimum trowel size you will use is 10mm no matter how good the walls are.

Remember if you are using larger than 6mm trowel you should use cement based addy as normal mixed (dispersion) addy will never cure.

Round notch trowels generaly give slightly better coverage too.:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pt44

I wish you guys had told me all this a LONG time ago :'(

Its all good info. But after having spent a week laying 600x300 porcelain on walls, which were fairly good, but far from being a billiard table, using a 6mm square notched trowel - I now feel like a real plonker. No wonder I had to do a LOT of floating, to build things up.

What a great forum.

Paul

G

grumpygrouter

I wish you guys had told me all this a LONG time ago :'(

Its all good info. But after having spent a week laying 600x300 porcelain on walls, which were fairly good, but far from being a billiard table, using a 6mm square notched trowel - I now feel like a real plonker. No wonder I had to do a LOT of floating, to build things up.

What a great forum.

Paul
Guess what I am doing tomorrow? Now armed with my 8mm trowel and new billiard table walls:yes:

Reply to what size trowels in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen