Search the forum,

Discuss What are the typical margins for tiles in the UK in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Mani

-
Reaction score
You need to go in independent shop and try and sell some tiles, then you see what they are willing to pay
Hi

Iv done that to and the results were promising as long as they could get to them when they need without keeping stock them self and I can do that..

So what I’m gathering and as my suspicions were.. there are not set prices / industry mark ups etc and it’s basically what ever you can get away with, not very good. One Independent that buys from a big name said even if he got the tiles cheaper from me he would not sell them cheaper then he already does (£70-90 m2 for 60x30) as his customers in his area liked/wanted to pay it and would associate cheap tiles with poor quality which is not always true.

D

Dumbo

I have a retailer who makes no more selling porcelenosa at £70psm than he does selling other tiles at half that price .

Mani

-
Reaction score
It must be an easy game that retail - that's why the high street is doing so well!
Lol 😆 I think it’s important to keep lean and overheads low and perhaps try and keep the middle men to a minimum and I’m not looking for a retail presence as such myself.

I suppose I may also be in a unique place as I’m practically joint venturing with the manufacturer for a win win for all parties involved and I’d like to come up with some pricing which would then also extend to become a win for the wider tiling community / trades etc with standard lower prices and no gimmicks.. well that’s the grand idea anyway
[automerge]1574190653[/automerge]
I have a retailer who makes no more selling porcelenosa at £70psm than he does selling other tiles at half that price .
Well if I can sell them for £70 m2 that would do me fine actually even half that if not lower 😆 as that still gives a decent mark up

D

Dumbo

Lol 😆 I think it’s important to keep lean and overheads low and perhaps try and keep the middle men to a minimum and I’m not looking for a retail presence as such myself.

I suppose I may also be in a unique place as I’m practically joint venturing with the manufacturer for a win win for all parties involved and I’d like to come up with some pricing which would then also extend to become a win for the wider tiling community / trades etc with standard lower prices and no gimmicks.. well that’s the grand idea anyway
[automerge]1574190653[/automerge]

Well if I can sell them for £70 m2 that would do me fine actually even half that if not lower 😆 as that still gives a decent mark up
The reason it's £70 is it's porcelenosa and hardly any margin

Mani

-
Reaction score
The reason it's £70 is it's porcelenosa and hardly any margin
Ok I’ve seen this with porcelenosa and there pricing. also seems like a lot of independents use them.. is this just because they are easy and convenient for small shops or is it because they are more of a house hold name as the quality of there tiles can easily be matched if not beaten.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds fishy to me. You've got to back your tiles when things go wrong. Not just go bump and let the supply chain down.

Have you actually installed any of these tiles to test their quality etc? Got any slip resistant tests done for floors? Had any adhesive manufacturers specifiy their adhesives for them? Had them rated for underfloor heating tolerances?

I even get emailed weekly by the likes of quarries who dig up stones and they want send me samples and the prices sound like I could be a millionaire. But then when you factor in the actual business, it's not cheap at all.

Mani

-
Reaction score
Hi Dan

Thank you for your reply, I have fitted these in one property I own now and am looking at using them on another residential development in Feb 2020 as as this is nearing completion now.

I have Data sheets for all test that have been carried out and how they meet or exceed EU standards.

Iv also been stopping by building sites and talking to people on the ground and after looking and checking the product they all seem fine and happy with it.

Im working with the manufacturer as a Joint venture to bring these to the UK, and we have already spoken to covers off such things like breakages and defects if any and there is a quality control process already in place to ensure a higher standard for other buyers / distributor in other countries.

They have been tested for slip and the range I’m currently looking at is definitely usable with underfloor heating

Good point on the adhesive side of things I will start looking into this with a view of perhaps finding a win win around this to.

Thank you Dan and everyone else all your points are much appreciated and once I’m up and running to all those that assisted me on my journey in some way or form there will always be some sort of mates rates for you.

Kind regards

Mani

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Dan

Thank you for your reply, I have fitted these in one property I own now and am looking at using them on another residential development in Feb 2020 as as this is nearing completion now.

I have Data sheets for all test that have been carried out and how they meet or exceed EU standards.

Iv also been stopping by building sites and talking to people on the ground and after looking and checking the product they all seem fine and happy with it.

Im working with the manufacturer as a Joint venture to bring these to the UK, and we have already spoken to covers off such things like breakages and defects if any and there is a quality control process already in place to ensure a higher standard for other buyers / distributor in other countries.

They have been tested for slip and the range I’m currently looking at is definitely usable with underfloor heating

Good point on the adhesive side of things I will start looking into this with a view of perhaps finding a win win around this to.

Thank you Dan and everyone else all your points are much appreciated and once I’m up and running to all those that assisted me on my journey in some way or form there will always be some sort of mates rates for you.

Kind regards

Mani
Not allowed to sell on the forum.

Other than that, crack on. :)

Good luck with it all, seems like a nice way make a few quid. Keep in touch. :)

V

Vic007

Hi Mani

I found this post of yours and I am exactly in same situation. I am trying to find out mark up for retailer and distributor at the moment. I am just wondering if you have found this information and happy to share with me.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to What are the typical margins for tiles in the UK in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen