Discuss Waterproofing An Aqua Dec in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Q

Qwerty

I get on well with waterguard. The only things that niggle me are when using the butyl sealant on joints......it never skins over as it says. Also the issue of clamping the membrane into the drain.......it never really seems to clamp it down, just seems a bit too lose. I have had to run a 1cm strip of waterguard around the inside of the drain to pack it out so it creates a tight seal.

Any ideas on this @Impey Showers ?

Reaction score
I'm going on their installer course soon. Maybe it can change my opinion because I really don't rate Impey (yet).
I have the opinion that Impey has been in the hands of plumbers and builders for too long.
Long enough to give it a bad reputation in my experience.

It will be great to meet and dispell any fears.
Which venue are you heading to?

J

J Sid

So are you saying if us tilers have any worries or questions to ask we have to pay to go on one of your course's to get answers? Or will you answer them on here @Impey Showers

Reaction score
I get on well with waterguard. The only things that niggle me are when using the butyl sealant on joints......it never skins over as it says. Also the issue of clamping the membrane into the drain.......it never really seems to clamp it down, just seems a bit too lose. I have had to run a 1cm strip of waterguard around the inside of the drain to pack it out so it creates a tight seal.

Any ideas on this @Impey Showers ?

Hi,
Having consulted the technical team we advise that when putting the jointing compound on, its best to put a 2/3mm bead along the exposed edge and rub in with a gloved finger. Please see pics.

IMG_0350.JPG.jpeg IMG_0348.JPG.jpeg

I

Ian

What about the issues raised with the membrane into the drain @Impey Showers ?
The last few I've done have (even though heated up as advised), peeled up overnight so as @Plan Tec Tiling has suggested, I've done the same and run an extra strip around the drain area to hold it down. In my opinion, the membrane needs to be lapped further into the drain allowing it to be clamped in place when the clamping ring is installed, I'd say this would mean cutting a 50/60mm hole in the membrane around the drain rather than the suggested 115mm.

J

J Sid

The new kit, according to the presentation I saw has a circular cutting tool. You lay the membrane across and over the drain and use this two cut a circle out the right size and then clamp down.
Hope that makes sense .

Reaction score
What about the issues raised with the membrane into the drain @Impey Showers ?
The last few I've done have (even though heated up as advised), peeled up overnight so as @Plan Tec Tiling has suggested, I've done the same and run an extra strip around the drain area to hold it down. In my opinion, the membrane needs to be lapped further into the drain allowing it to be clamped in place when the clamping ring is installed, I'd say this would mean cutting a 50/60mm hole in the membrane around the drain rather than the suggested 115mm.

Would you be able to elaborate on the point about the membrane not sticking down? Do you have a picture? We're keen to understand more about this as its not something we've ever encountered. Thanks

Reply to Waterproofing An Aqua Dec in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks