Discuss VAT rise, IMO it is Media scary tactics in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

I think the media are using scare tactics when it comes to VAT rise..

My phone has rang at least twice a day ( quotes) since last monday on returning to work after xmas break.. it has gone mental..

So i think all this hype on the VAT issue is just the media scare tactics .. the same as when the recession started.

If it keeps like this then i am well happy.. so to the media i say http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/MSN_Emoticons/MSN-Emoticon-show-***-107.gif it is time they gave it a rest..

The public are spending ... well they are up here anyway...

Reaction score
i think you will find that Durham in general is an affluent area , and peep,s in other part,s of the country will have a different experience of the way it can pan-out IMO

S

SandyFloor

I'm having the busiest January I've had in years.....not going to get cocky about it incase it's been a fluke.

A

Aston

well i made a decision to keep spending lol...its the only way to beat this situation. money is the oil of the economy isnt it.
anyway, theres no pockets in shrouds in there!! ;0)

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i think certain areas and guys with good reps and well established businesses will keep doing fine

i am doing ok at present,i wont complain,done 5 or 6 really big quotes since xmas just waiting to hear back from them still lol

D

Deleted member 9966

well i made a decision to keep spending lol...its the only way to beat this situation. money is the oil of the economy isnt it.
anyway, theres no pockets in shrouds in there!! ;0)

spoken like a true Economist Ed :thumbsup: that's how you get out of a recession, you spend your way out of it. carry on as normal, buy what you normally buy and everything will turn out fine. it always does.

Reaction score
I rarely listen to the news now, I'm sick of all the negativity in this country, the work is steady, and people will still spend while they have money, and even if the economy comes crashing down, work will still get done however we choose to trade with each other, if you let all this rubbish worry you, you might as well jump off the nearest car park, because, there is nothing in life thrown at you that you can't handle if you're sound of mind, imho.:thumbsup:

D

Daz

The media have been going on and on about the recession hitting construction badly, but in truth it has only dented the larger developments, IMO. The domestic market has remained buoyant because the average homeowner has been realising "additional" money in their account at the end of each month.

And as per Ed's comment, Mrs Slow has adopted the same principle and spent far too much on a pair of Prada trainers last weekend :mad2::thumbsdown:

I have been receiving calls for quotations virtually every day since starting back this year so I'm sure that the VAT increase is not putting people off. Is it not just a UK media attitude to force a pessimistic view on everything?

U

user123

Absolutely right - media negativity doesn't help anyone after all - and positivity is just as catching, but with much better end results! :thumbsup: It's the people with a victim mentality who are grateful for the press to give them all the excuses they want....

S

Stewart

I guess I'm one of the few that doesn't watch the news or read papers......... I occasionally look at the headlines on-line, but I don't pay any real attention to them. Works booked into April and all the major house builder at Duloch Park (major house expansion in this area) have all resumed building.

The media love to tell us how hard we've got it and think nothing of making it seem worse than it really is. They should be limited on the amount of reporting they can do on one subject....... Or better still, just ignore it, I do!

S

Scott

I make a point of ignoring all the Red tops now and just use BBC news website for a catch up with Sky news website occasionally. The media certainly talked the country into the recession much quicker than it should have happened. If you hear that you shouldnt spend money then usually you dont and as Ed said its the oil of the machine that keeps us ticking and we need to spend our way out of it. On the downside of that we have come out of a government who tried that tactic to get out of debt! That hasnt helpd anyone and with the redundancies and cut backs in all departments it will make the figures seem oh so much worse.

On the upside they kept the interest rate the same again even though it was reported that it should have gone up to combat the inflation.

Reply to VAT rise, IMO it is Media scary tactics in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley