Search the forum,

Discuss Turned down job today on advice from Everbuild tech team. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Did a quote last night. When customer opened front door I was nearly knocked back with the smell of a very powerful solvent. I could hardly breathe.

Customer had boarded out shower room with 12mm Hardie and then covered the shower area in Everbuild Evercryl.

Customer said it was ok to tank the shower with the stuff.

I constructed the quote and it was accepted. Today at work I had a niggling feeling about what he had done so I tried to find out some info on the product, but reading all the technical datasheets on a mobile is a little frustrating so I rang the tech helpline. The guy at the other end laughed at what some customers do with their products and told me that this product had not been tested within the tiling world. It is a solvent based product designed for repairing roofs and gutters. He advised me not to go ahead with the tile installation as he did not know how the adhesive could react to the evercryl. I had to go with this guys advice and rang the customer. Customer not happy and told me that his builder friend uses it all the time to tank showers!

Honestly, the stuff really gets up yr nose. To make matters worse the shower room is under the stairs and it has no extractor fan.

The decorator on site today said I was stupid. He would have tiled it (if he could tile) and let the customer worry about any issues that may/may not arise.

I've read too many stories on this forum about tilers tiling over substrates they are not sure about and then asking for advice on how to rectify the problem.

At least I can sleep without worrying if my tiles are going to end up in the shower tray in the morning!

W

White Room

You took advise from technical and I would have done same, let the others tile it...muppets.

M

mike1979

You can only make a judgment from a proper pro and hats off to you for doing the right thing and as for the decorator he is stupid not you got to add it tickled me a bit don't know what some people are thinking using roof waterproofing in a shower :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

judge

TF
Arms
Reaction score
A builder i was talking to on a job says he uses a roofing membrane bedded into adhesive before he tiles wooden substrates !!!!!!!!Said hes never had a comeback in ten years apart from a customer that got a local tv investigation program onto him after a failed wetroom atempt !!!!!!...........you just gotta laugh

W

White Room

A builder i was talking to on a job says he uses a roofing membrane bedded into adhesive before he tiles wooden substrates !!!!!!!!Said hes never had a comeback in ten years apart from a customer that got a local tv investigation program onto him after a failed wetroom atempt !!!!!!...........you just gotta laugh

That about says it all really:nonod:

C

Colour Republic

The decorator on site today said I was stupid. He would have tiled it (if he could tile) and let the customer worry about any issues that may/may not arise.

What an complete idiot!

that boy is decorator for a reason.....

Despite being an idiot it has no reflection on the trade so that's below the belt. Clearly you have no understanding of the trade or you wouldn't post that.

Reply to Turned down job today on advice from Everbuild tech team. in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen