Search the forum,

Discuss Tricky cuts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

PJ Tiling

I have a real problem getting my cuts perfect round door arcitraves, what do you guys use to measure tricky cuts?

I've used a profile gauge a couple of times but I never really get on with it.

Reaction score
If I have to I mark the tile at the various pints of the moulding then just go through a trial and error process till its right:thumbsup:

But always try to see if it's possible to chop the bottoms off the backmoulds with my Fein first and slot the tile underneath:thumbsup:

D

DHTiling

The use of a fein works wonders..:thumbsup:

Just like this but using your tile for height of cutting.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJL_ZP8C0lQ]YouTube - How To Cut a Door Jamb[/ame]

D

DHTiling

And some tilers use Jam saws..

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qWrgFjm9Xs&feature=related]YouTube - How To Undercut the Door Casing[/ame]

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

If I have to I mark the tile at the various pints of the moulding then just go through a trial and error process till its right:thumbsup:

But always try to see if it's possible to chop the bottoms off the backmoulds with my Fein first and slot the tile underneath:thumbsup:

Same here:thumbsup:

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As stated above if you can, cut out the arc's and slot underneath,if not you just have to gauge it as best you can until its right(may take a couple of goes):thumbsup:

S

SandyFloor

A Fein Multimaster really comes into it's own here especially for more ornate architraves. I've been using one so long I can barely remember what I did before. I've seen the same thing done with a draw saw but it's difficult to get the stroke clearance and not scratch the surrounds. When I need to measure and mark really accurately I use a steel rule rather than a tape.

Other than that it's a case of trial and error ( as mentioned above) using a saw and nippers. With practice it's a bit quicker than you think. Btw I've had every gadget going and you'll find most of them buried at the back of my garage.

Reply to Tricky cuts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen