Search the forum,

Discuss Travelling Time - do you charge / get paid for? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Alan M

is that for everytime you have to go out... This thread is fantastic lol, love seeing how different we all work
I charge each time if it is their fault
if they add work or change what they want then they pay to go get the materials
if I forgot something then its on me

O

Old Mod

I generally only charge for parking, it can be horrendous for me.
Did a job last year in WC1 by the strand, it was 9 days straight incl the weekend, so that meant no congestion charge Sat & Sun and only half day parking Saturday. Client insisted that at the end of every day I was to pack away like I hadn't even been there, so my car was essential. The bill for parking and congestion charge was £390.00, there's only ever gonna be one person who pays that bill, and it's not me! :smilewinkgrin:

T

Time's Ran Out

Same as dave...charge for fuel but not time......but I would never work more than an hour away..

So if you do regular work for a builder/ contact and they want you to do 2 bathrooms 70 mins away, you'd say no!
Or would you look at the extra days travelling each week(10 hours) and give them it for the work or charge say £30 a day travelling time to cover your costs and make it worth going. Just a scenario.
Or is it correct for them to expect you to do it for the same price as your local work.

O

Old Mod

So if you do regular work for a builder/ contact and they want you to do 2 bathrooms 70 mins away, you'd say no?
Or is it correct for them to expect you to do it for the same price as your local work.
Personally for the sake of an extra 10 mins I probably wouldn't bother, however, I don't think they should expect it. Chances are if they are working outside their normal catchment areas, they're getting extra too!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
So if you do regular work for a builder/ contact and they want you to do 2 bathrooms 70 mins away, you'd say no!
Or would you look at the extra days travelling each week(10 hours) and give them it for the work or charge say £30 a day travelling time to cover your costs and make it worth going. Just a scenario.

I would drive faster and get there in under an hour. .:lol:

Seriously. ....im currently doing alot of work for a bathroom company there work is approximately 30 miles away its all day work and I charge an extra £ 10 per day to cover fuel......tbh anything further away would not intrest me. ...simple as that. .:thumbsup:

T

the diving tile

I travel 150 miles a day charge them for fuel, parking and tolls, or they can get some one else, I look after the jobs for them so it works for both of us.

M

MTiler

It can take me over an hour to drive to the other side of London lol. If its a large job I'll travel across london and add extra for petrol. Any commercial mosaic jobs Im on a higher day rate with accom. and sometimes food as extra when needed.
Ive had a job (Bisazza) confirmed thats in Tunbridge Wells a good 1 1/2 - 2 hr drive I just added petrol to the price being a private job. Most general tiling jobs are local.

mz30

TF
Arms
Reaction score
To add to what I put in the other thread,i am travelling 65 miles to work 65 miles back can take 1 hr 20 mins upwards depending on traffic on the m6,now as am employed I get paid by the hour 8hrs a day so to get to site I leave at 5:45 am each morning, on a good day I arrive just after 7am and I start work immediately, I then start to pack up at around 2pm and usually get home on a good run at about 3:45pm,i only get paid for 8 hrs so I don't see why I should stay till 4:30pm then get home after 6 meaning I have been out of the house for over 12 hrs and only get paid for 8 hrs.

I think the arrangement I sort of forced on the boss is a good one the work he wants gets done and am happy getting home early,its a win /win really.

G

Gazzer

Recently I started doing some sub-contract work and got sent to a site 32 miles away but due to its location it took 1 hour 20 minutes to get there, It took over2 hours to get home. While the job was easy enough ( had it been ready wheni arrived) It didnt work out cost effective for me as there was no fuel or travelling allowance.
Last night I was asked to attend a site which would have meant at least 2 hours driving each way. I declined the offer explaining it wouldnt be cost effective.
I was then offered another job again 30 miles away but alot easier to get to. As for the original questiion and for the jobs mentiioned above, No I dont charge but feel some kind of compensation should be made.
For my own contracts, Yes I charge fuel allowance for jobs over 15 miles away from home. Also car parking charges etc
Years ago I worked all over the country and I was paid per mile or I didnt do the job.

Reply to Travelling Time - do you charge / get paid for? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I'm searching for 42 pieces of 12" x 12" Verde Alpi marble tiles. Preferably honed. 12" x 24"...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen