Currently reading:
to prime or not to prime!!!

Search the forum,

Discuss to prime or not to prime!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
edinburgh
hi all i recently done a post regarding which substrates to prime and which i dont have to prime...im a bit lost im gettin different answers.. i was told plasterboard i dont have to prime and fresh plaster yes i do have to prime but other people are saying i must prime plasterboard??? basically ive almost completed a job with plasterboard which i didnt prime but i did use a self priming adhesive which im now being informed on doesnt mean i donnt have to use primer...there sems to be different veiws on these things can anyone clarify please? also im laying a glazed matt porcelain floor,,,,not polished shiny porcelain which im getting conflicting points on some guys are telling me to seal it whilst others advise me i dont have to seal porcelain unless its polished..can anyone clarify this also please..much appreciated and thats my moan for the day:hurray::joker:

G

grumpygrouter

Hi Kilty, if you are using tubbed adhesive, you don't normally have to prime plasterboard. The problem that arises normally is when using powder adhesive (cement based) it can have a reaction with gypsum based materials like plaster, and therefore plasterboard. There is a saying that crops up on the forum a lot which is - if in doubt, prime! - it won't hurt to prime.

As far as I am aware, it is only polished porcelain that needs sealing but usually the tile manufacturer will say on the box if it needs sealing

Last edited by a moderator:
G

grumpygrouter

well that is a different matter u hav 2 prime ther as gypsun plaster and cement based addy r not compatible.in that situation i would pva
but sure isnt that wrong 2

i change my post now from i never prime 2 i only prime in that situation:mad2:
Much has been written in the forums about priming with PVA. It is not recommended by adhesive manufacturers because of potential for failure and as such the appropriate Acrylic primer such as BAL APD or Adrex P51(other acrylic primers are available!) should be used instead.

A

Andy S tile

Bit of a thread hyjack this, but its not worth starting a new one for, i,ve a kitchen floor to do tomorrow 9 sqm, ceramic on concrete, i have various makes of adhesive left over from other jobs, can i prime the whole floor in one make of primer or would it be better to maybe just brush and damp the floor with water, and this is gonna be a hassle but should the different adhesives not come into contact with each other to avoid any adverse chemical reactions?
Thanks Andy

G

grumpygrouter

Bit of a thread hyjack this, but its not worth starting a new one for, i,ve a kitchen floor to do tomorrow 9 sqm, ceramic on concrete, i have various makes of adhesive left over from other jobs, can i prime the whole floor in one make of primer or would it be better to maybe just brush and damp the floor with water, and this is gonna be a hassle but should the different adhesives not come into contact with each other to avoid any adverse chemical reactions?
Thanks Andy
Any specific reason why you want to prime concrete?

G

grumpygrouter

plaster board and ceramic and ceramic adhesive is okay not to prime.
plaster board and porcelain/marble etc, you use cement based adhesive (has to be mixed) the yes bond neat with pva, or at least 1:2parts water.
Have to disagree there Rab, PVA is genreally deemed not sutiable by the vast majority of adhesive manufacturers as a primer. Acrylic primers are what is recommended now. Granfix is the exception as they specify PVA for one of their adhesives.

Reply to to prime or not to prime!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is 4.5m x 1.8m. The top third of the room is totally level. The remainder of the room has a slope...
Replies
Views
Hi, I am planning on tiling my concrete garage floor with porcelain tiles. The concrete was laid down several years ago by a previous owner, and it looks like it was also polished and sealed -...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.