Search the forum,

Discuss to prime or not to prime!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
hi all i recently done a post regarding which substrates to prime and which i dont have to prime...im a bit lost im gettin different answers.. i was told plasterboard i dont have to prime and fresh plaster yes i do have to prime but other people are saying i must prime plasterboard??? basically ive almost completed a job with plasterboard which i didnt prime but i did use a self priming adhesive which im now being informed on doesnt mean i donnt have to use primer...there sems to be different veiws on these things can anyone clarify please? also im laying a glazed matt porcelain floor,,,,not polished shiny porcelain which im getting conflicting points on some guys are telling me to seal it whilst others advise me i dont have to seal porcelain unless its polished..can anyone clarify this also please..much appreciated and thats my moan for the day:hurray::joker:

G

grumpygrouter

Hi Kilty, if you are using tubbed adhesive, you don't normally have to prime plasterboard. The problem that arises normally is when using powder adhesive (cement based) it can have a reaction with gypsum based materials like plaster, and therefore plasterboard. There is a saying that crops up on the forum a lot which is - if in doubt, prime! - it won't hurt to prime.

As far as I am aware, it is only polished porcelain that needs sealing but usually the tile manufacturer will say on the box if it needs sealing

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Fekin

Priming plasterboard slows down the drying time of the adhesive a bit for you as plasterboard can suck the moisture out of the adhesive a bit quickly.

For polished porcelalin I always seal.

C

cornish dave

hi green grade plaster board is moisture resistant so do you still have to prime :huh2:

S

smokey1234x

been tiling for years and i never hav primed anything and never had any come backs i think as long as the surfaces r dust free the addy will stick,
if the porcelan is glazed u do not hav 2 seal it

D

DHTiling

been tiling for years and i never hav primed anything and never had any come backs i think as long as the surfaces r dust free the addy will stick,
if the porcelan is glazed u do not hav 2 seal it

So would you use a cement based adhesive straight on to gypsum plaster then...?..( no primer )......

S

smokey1234x

So would you use a cement based adhesive straight on to gypsum plaster then...?..( no primer )......

well that is a different matter u hav 2 prime ther as gypsun plaster and cement based addy r not compatible.in that situation i would pva
but sure isnt that wrong 2

i change my post now from i never prime 2 i only prime in that situation:mad2:

G

grumpygrouter

well that is a different matter u hav 2 prime ther as gypsun plaster and cement based addy r not compatible.in that situation i would pva
but sure isnt that wrong 2

i change my post now from i never prime 2 i only prime in that situation:mad2:
Much has been written in the forums about priming with PVA. It is not recommended by adhesive manufacturers because of potential for failure and as such the appropriate Acrylic primer such as BAL APD or Adrex P51(other acrylic primers are available!) should be used instead.

Reply to to prime or not to prime!!! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen