Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling Price Base Rate - how much do tilers charge? in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

B

Blunt Tool

Little story first, A big ships engine costing millions breaks down and won't start again, they try everything then call out an engineer with 40 years experience. After inspecting engine for 5 minutes, he takes out a small hammer and taps it once and the engine springs back into life! A few weeks later the owners get a bill from the engineer for ten thousand pounds! The owners phone him and tell him to send in an itemised bill as they can't figure out why it cost so much? The itemised bill turns up a few days later....
Hammer £10.00
Knowing where to tap £9990.00
Know your worth and never sell yourself cheap!

If a customer spends hundreds or nowadays usually thousands on tiles and they still want to haggle with you over pounds and pence walk away!

GAZ5518

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
It's an old adage but one that sticks with me" you pay peanuts .. "......Well,you know the rest....
I have seen the pricing structure change over the years .. Unfortunately the general public want to pay Asda prices for Waitrose products..Understanderbly ....There are so called "Tilers" out there pricing and getting work at extremely low prices and so setting the standards...and that's what we are up against all the time...
In my area it is accepted that a good tradesman should/will earn £200 plus as a day rate and an average m2 price across the board £50 inc...other costs..(matting/preparation etc) would be added as extras and costed accordingly ...punter either accepts or not....invariably non negotionable....
Sorry ..wasn't meant to be a rant.. But I can't find the delete button to alter !!!...:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay boys and girls. I've made a new blog and have a section for people looking for a tiler. At the top of the section (in the menu) the first page is "how much will a tiler charge me?" How much do tilers charge? » Tile News Blog - http://www.tilersforums.com/tiles/need-a-tiler/how-much-do-tilers-charge/

I'm gonna explain what charges a for. And at the end literally have a spreadsheet type affair of typical prices for various types of tiling, and alter the prices per area. (Or say in it to add 20% for London etc) that figure needs to be discussed with you lot.

Clearly it's a GUIDE and I'll stress that. I'll also go in on the high side. And point out that it depends on many factors and try and list those factors.

It's something you'll be able to then print off and give to customers perhaps. And it's something that we will push in the forum and in the tilers directory etc

So we need some prices writing down and getting this back on topic.

Can you help?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Ahhhh I've just found out that @JulianSidney was going around marking posts as negative because he'd had a couple marked (genuinely though) on his posts.

How pathetic lol

J

J Sid

hehe thanks @Dan wasn't giving at negatives to everyone, if you check you will find I gave out many, many more good marks to posts and the negatives were imho right, as above. can't see many likes on that post above.

if you'd read my post the other day which got support from members I said I would be trying to get these negative review system changed. All I wanted was the ability for anyone viewing your/my profile the able to see why or a link to the thread it was given on. To much to ask / not possible I guess.

any way i guess the improvements' made are an improvement, I don't know as I've been bared from making rating.
cheers Dan all done in the best possible taste ;)

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score

Tile Marble Granite

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Little story first, A big ships engine costing millions breaks down and won't start again, they try everything then call out an engineer with 40 years experience. After inspecting engine for 5 minutes, he takes out a small hammer and taps it once and the engine springs back into life! A few weeks later the owners get a bill from the engineer for ten thousand pounds! The owners phone him and tell him to send in an itemised bill as they can't figure out why it cost so much? The itemised bill turns up a few days later....
Hammer £10.00
Knowing where to tap £9990.00
Know your worth and never sell yourself cheap!
That's a good one. Feel the same about that!

If a customer spends hundreds or nowadays usually thousands on tiles and they still want to haggle with you over pounds and pence walk away!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
hehe thanks @Dan wasn't giving at negatives to everyone, if you check you will find I gave out many, many more good marks to posts and the negatives were imho right, as above. can't see many likes on that post above.

if you'd read my post the other day which got support from members I said I would be trying to get these negative review system changed. All I wanted was the ability for anyone viewing your/my profile the able to see why or a link to the thread it was given on. To much to ask / not possible I guess.

any way i guess the improvements' made are an improvement, I don't know as I've been bared from making rating.
cheers Dan all done in the best possible taste ;)

After further discussion with the staff we have reinstated the negative ratings. But will simply ban people from using the negative ratings when they're abusing the system.

Things they're given fairly for, its fine to give them out for. Like the widler post the other day where he ranted with loads of swear words etc.

So just don't abuse the system. And take it on the chin when you get a neg.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Worth noting that Which? have published a price guide including tiling a small and large bathroom.

So I think we need to do this.

Reply to Tiling Price Base Rate - how much do tilers charge? in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks