Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling Price Base Rate - how much do tilers charge? in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

O

One Day

Some of us are tilers not bathroom fitters, I don't prep any walls.

Tilers should be able to prep ALL substrates in my opinion.
Tilers who can't (not won't - I mean can't) are less able.

A hotel I am working at has a tiler in who turns out a reasonable, not great job.
He got caught spot-fixing floor tiles onto ufh cables. Asked why, he said he knows it needs leveling but I don't do leveling. o_Oo_Oo_O

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'm currently changing my business up, to be aiming at bathroom fitting, with a plumber in the pocket for that side of things, have truely had enough of coming into appalling prep work, all site work is being phased out, I'll be pushing for high class domestic bathrooms, and try to drag my home town forth from the dark ages of 250 x 500 being "big" tiles :mad:. Its going to be hard work getting the first few caught on round here but no one Lee is doing it so I figure its worth a go. But even if the large formats don't take off, I want all my jobs start to finish now, me running it and never having to hear "the tiler will get over it" :mad::mad: so fingers crossed on a year I maybe be back to enjoying work again

F

Flintstone

Impish, that's all well and good and I understand where your coming from but it depends on what jobs you are doing, I'm sure a lot of tilers, myself included do jobs for all manner of contacts as well as my own jobs and normally you walk into a room that has been prepared by the fitter, or skimmed by the plasterer or whatever. Ripping bathrooms out is something I seriously dislike

D

Dumbo

I'm currently changing my business up, to be aiming at bathroom fitting, with a plumber in the pocket for that side of things, have truely had enough of coming into appalling prep work, all site work is being phased out, I'll be pushing for high class domestic bathrooms, and try to drag my home town forth from the dark ages of 250 x 500 being "big" tiles :mad:. Its going to be hard work getting the first few caught on round here but no one Lee is doing it so I figure its worth a go. But even if the large formats don't take off, I want all my jobs start to finish now, me running it and never having to hear "the tiler will get over it" :mad::mad: so fingers crossed on a year I maybe be back to enjoying work again
Jim Clarke is doing complete bathroom installations

D

Dumbo

I have said in the past I would love to carry less tools on my van and the only tools to carry are tiling tools but sadly it ain't so

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Jcrtiling your just up the road from me you get much large format work up there? I do a bit in Salisbury not a huge amount but always seems to be decent quialty when I do

D

Dumbo

Do mostly 600x300 and 600x600 few floor boards 1200 long . And did some 800 x 500 and 1 msq before crimbo looked at some 900 x300 last nite . Mostly do high end bathroom work duravit ,hans Grohe etc but some of them still cry about the price

Ttt1601

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
They always cry about the price lol, but the fact your getting some big stuff in gives me hope I can push some here, Andover is always a bit behind so hopefully can get it going a bit here soon

D

Dumbo

They always cry about the price lol, but the fact your getting some big stuff in gives me hope I can push some here, Andover is always a bit behind so hopefully can get it going a bit here soon
People go into Tile shops and get sold what they get sold if they go in a shop that pushes a lot of large format that's what they will probably buy .

O

One Day

Impish, that's all well and good and I understand where your coming from but it depends on what jobs you are doing, I'm sure a lot of tilers, myself included do jobs for all manner of contacts as well as my own jobs and normally you walk into a room that has been prepared by the fitter, or skimmed by the plasterer or whatever. Ripping bathrooms out is something I seriously dislike

I hate ripping out too! But I equally hate having to tile onto other trade's prep.
That's why I'm so "stuck-up" about what I'll tile onto. I suppose I'm fortunate really that I can dictate to a large degree how I want things done - my way.

F

Flintstone

If the jobs allow that level of prep that's great but a lot of the time, the budget doesn't stretch to all new walls

Reply to Tiling Price Base Rate - how much do tilers charge? in the Tiling Courses - Tile Workshops area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks