Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto existing tiles in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

Jim Stradwick

Actually 100 times is probably exaggerating , but if I've got Mapei backing you , it's hard to say no

D

Discount Tile Supplies

the sales people should not give adviseunless they have been trained to do so . but they shouldnt be expected to either as its not there job to advise people, its ther job to sell to them
people dont ask the sales team in homebase how to build a house nor do they ask the staff in asda how to cook a chicken
to be honest if i worked in tile shop i would want to make my sales as they sometimes get a commision

And unfortunately no one reads what it says on a tub of adhesive or on a bag of adhesive or on a bag of grout. Just making sales comes back and bit u on the bum Dave. Selling tiles is just as hard as fixing them these days. Customers know it all !

M

Muse2k8

Actually 100 times is probably exaggerating , but if I've got Mapei backing you , it's hard to say no

Mapei will only back you if THEIR adhesive fails... Which it likely won't. If there's an issue it will be the weight or the previous tiling coming away in which case your on your own. And if this results in a tile injuring or killing someone then you can bet Mapei won't provide the sleeping pills to help you sleep at night.

J

Jim Stradwick

This is very true, it all depends on the situation. I prefer not to do it but you can if the situation is absolutely right and I have had a few of those. I've also had situations where we said no. Judgement call and good judgment at that

M

Muse2k8

Yeah you can do it, like you can run cables under a bath and you know both cases will often be fine but the point is that when it goes wrong it can be very dangerous and it's the tradesman who has to deal with the consequences not to mention the families involved if it goes seriously wrong.

The tiling industry needs to be more regulated and clients need to realise that tiling is a skilled trade and not simply a case of sticking squares to any surface.

I do blame DIY becoming too popular for damaging the industry too.

P

Plumbing Tiler

For your information everyone, my Customer was not happy with my suggestion of stripping off original tiles and starting again, he said he had spoken to 4 different tile shops and all 4 told him it would be fine to tile over the existing tiles with his new 600 x 300 x 10mm tiles, and the only concern that 1 of them raised was "that you should leave the adhesive to set for at least 2 days", no mention of weight or type of substrate even, so I didn't get the job but at least I can sleep at night, thanks for the help all :thumbsup:

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
There will always be someone who will do the job. So the customer is in effect telling the tiler how to do his job. You do not need customers like that.!!!

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Plaster bonding agent its a red gritty stuff, you just roller it on 24 hours before tiling used it loads of times. just make shaw the tiles your tiling on are solid, and you wipe it of his new bath before it dries because you won't shift it when it does

I can't believe this was suggested directly after the comments before it.

Its all about cost at the end of the day!! If the client can't or won't pay for the original tiles to be stripped and replastered then what you going to do turn the job down?? Anyway tiling on tile is easy as long as the surface is sound then prime it and crack on as normal!! Not a big problem at all! Down to the client at the end of the day! All you can do is advise them which i agree with on not tiling on tile but if there happy with it then so be it

I'm sorry but do you have a conscience? You'd sooner get paid even if it means doing the job wrong? What about the saftey aspect as well? See quote below:

Does your customer have children? How would you like to receive a telephone call saying that the layer of tiles you fixed have fallen off whilst the customer was bathing one of their children?

Exactly!

I think it's ridiculous that people would suggest this as good practice, i'm certain no professional with a pinch of pride in their work would.

Plumbing Tiler, i take it you're not giving any guarantee for your work? How could you when you don't know how well the exsisting tiles are fixed?

Last edited:
J

Jim Stradwick

Let's get into the 21 st century boys, the fact remains that you can do it, they make the products to make it work. You use common sense. If its above your head then no, on a floor sure
We just did 20,000 sqft with this process , speced by the architect
We laid a section and took it up to check it. It worked 100%

Reply to Tiling onto existing tiles in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Marley