Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling onto existing tiles in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Its all about cost at the end of the day!! If the client can't or won't pay for the original tiles to be stripped and replastered then what you going to do turn the job down?? Anyway tiling on tile is easy as long as the surface is sound then prime it and crack on as normal!! Not a big problem at all! Down to the client at the end of the day! All you can do is advise them which i agree with on not tiling on tile but if there happy with it then so be it

I WOULD walk away from the job and have done previously. There are too many potential problems that could occur and this all ends up at your door. If you go and accept the job on your head be it, or rather your customers head when it fails. Steer clear IMO.

W

White Room

there seems to be a fair few people condoning tiling in tile and it doesnt seem to matter what its onto or what the tiles are,,,things are hard enough out there workwise and your making it even harder by condoning these methods in view of the public on here!

It's the public that need educating on this matter Jamie....

D

Deleted member 9966

Does your customer have children? How would you like to receive a telephone call saying that the layer of tiles you fixed have fallen off whilst the customer was bathing one of their children?

P

Perfect Tiling

If the customer wont take good advice then say bye bye...if you do the job and problems arrise then you will have a bad name...always harder to get rid of.... Give them the correct methods and advice and quite often you get the job because you know what you are on about and come across as professional. I quoted a job last month at £350 dearer than anyone else because I was the only one who said I wouldn't put 610 x 405 x 12mm travertine onto glazed ceramic tiles stuck to 10mm plasterboard. I priced for full removal and reboard. I got the job. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score
with so many customers being price orientated atm mark my concern is when they read these threads where numerous tilers condone tiling on tile with anything and having done it for years they will think its okay to save money

P

Plumbing Tiler

Thanks very much for your replies everyone, I will inform the customer that it is better to remove the existing tiles, make good and then re-tile, I hope he will accept this and understand, but at least I will sleep soundly knowing I did the right (professional) thing!:thumbsup:

S

scott mccoll

think your doing the right thing listening to some good sound advice, i know times can be tough but all it takes is for the ONE job to go wrong ;doesn't do the old reputation any good :thumbsup:

D

Discount Tile Supplies

I dont think its fair to say retailers push "tile on tile". We supply the adhesive to the customer, granted, But its the tillers that fix the tiles!
There are many tillers not struggling for work but twice as many wanting to pay their mortgages and will tile anything. Time will tell with these guys who stick up anything and to anything. This week we are replacing 5 bathrooms for a customer because the tiller used the wrong adhesives and wrong substrates (adhesives purchased on price from SELCO).
We get plenty of guys in that say "never had a problem yet" and we say YET. Customers are price orientated, at the moment and people are willing to cut corners when quiet. I get more problems with tillers 'dot and dabbing' than tile on tile.
IMO, in an ideal world, i would not recommend tile on tile, but most customers want to keep price down and its a chance they take, like you said its only as good as the tile underneath.
Some one will tile this job, and they will fall off! And i bet it will dot and dab with ready mixed.

J

jay

I dont think its fair to say retailers push "tile on tile". We supply the adhesive to the customer, granted, But its the tillers that fix the tiles!
There are many tillers not struggling for work but twice as many wanting to pay their mortgages and will tile anything. Time will tell with these guys who stick up anything and to anything. This week we are replacing 5 bathrooms for a customer because the tiller used the wrong adhesives and wrong substrates (adhesives purchased on price from SELCO).
We get plenty of guys in that say "never had a problem yet" and we say YET. Customers are price orientated, at the moment and people are willing to cut corners when quiet. I get more problems with tillers 'dot and dabbing' than tile on tile.
IMO, in an ideal world, i would not recommend tile on tile, but most customers want to keep price down and its a chance they take, like you said its only as good as the tile underneath.

Some one will tile this job, and they will fall off! And i bet it will dot and dab with ready mixed.

As long as the salesman informs the customer of the dangers involved with fixing over shoddy substrates that would be fine ,but most don't (and the tiler is on the back foot to start with)

G

garybadger

I've been to a few jobs, where the people have been to the biggest tile suppliers and some, (NOT ALL) haven't got a clue on what they are selling.
1. customer bought natural stone, I go to look at her job, talk her through everything that's needing done, i.e cement based adhesive's, prime walls, seal the tiles, they will eventually need sealed again in roughly 2-3 years time as they are a natural product and they require maintenance.
Customer didn't know any of this, had been sold BAL GREEN STAR for a 40x40 travertine bathroom as it was the cheapest and no mention of needing to seal these tiles.
2. Last week a customer had been in picking tiles from another well known tile supplier. Had picked out 80x80 porcelain tiles to go on the existing plastered walls, told her she may not be able to do it, due to the weight of these per m2, but I'd go down and ask the necessary questions and get her a discount.
Guy in there never had a bloody clue, what I was on about. Looked at me like I had horns coming out my head, when I was quizzing them on everything.
10 mins later, I left with not 1 of my questions answered as the guy just didn't know. Said he would ask his boss to phone me, and I'm still waiting.
The people selling the stuff, should be put on some sort of course as well.
I get it's their jobs sell stuff, but they are just trying to get stuff out the door.

S

swanman

Never tile on tile

Even if the customer wants you to, ive walk away from jobs .yes ive lost the job but i havent got the worry that tiles will fail and get a call back

Sometimes you just have to cut your loses

D

dave l and l

the sales people should not give adviseunless they have been trained to do so . but they shouldnt be expected to either as its not there job to advise people, its ther job to sell to them
people dont ask the sales team in homebase how to build a house nor do they ask the staff in asda how to cook a chicken
to be honest if i worked in tile shop i would want to make my sales as they sometimes get a commision

J

jay

If we are talking a tile shop then the salesman or saleswoman should know what they are selling and its limitations and advice with that knowledge , commission or salary.as that is there product

somewhere like home base or hardware stores you just take pot luck unless they have someone trained in that area

J

Jim Stradwick

You can tile over tile that's why they make adhesives to do so , the weight is defiantly a factor. Done it a hundred times as long as the first job was level and installed with cement and not mastic.

Reply to Tiling onto existing tiles in the America Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen