Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling on water resistant chipboard in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

SJPurdy

Ivan, yes it is cement based adhesive if it is Hardie backer board (and some other makes) as assumed in some of the above posts, but beware if it is "no more ply" board then use their special foaming adhesive as per their instructions.
I suggest you Google the brand of board you are being supplied with to get the data sheet for recommended fixing instrucxtions.

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Sorry for joining the thread so late on. Our S2 adhesive will fix tiles onto chip-board and we can say this with confidence, what we can’t say is that your chip-board is of a suitable type to be tiled on to. It has been well documented that tiling to chip-board can cause problems such as tiles de-bonding or the chip-board expanding and contracting due to the addition of moisture from the adhesives. Most chip-boards are not good for tiling because they are very unstable and not treated against the ingress of moisture and those that are rarely have the tongue and groove treated which is a passage for moisture ingress. If moisture gets in on these edges it can cause a problem called “grinning”, which causes the boards to curl up at the edges and could potentially cause tiles to de-bond. That said there are some better quality chip-boards around that can be tiled directly too. These types of chip-boards may have a vinyl/Formica type covering which will help in keeping the moisture out. There are some manufacturers that will say their chip-boards cannot be tiled onto directly because they are unstable, and with that information it would be hard to guarantee any product onto an unstable substrate. British Standards 5385 state that all substrates for tiling onto must be dry, strong, stable and clean. If the chip-board you would like to tile is not the correct type then I would recommend over laying it with a 6mm tile backer board. These boards will create a sound and stable substrate to tile onto. Also the Anti-fracture Matting is designed to absorb lateral movement in heated floors not to absorb deflection, it may add something to the make up of the floor but if there is deflection something more substantial will be needed, and do not forget no matter how flexible your adhesive is your tiles are not.

S

SJPurdy

Sorry for joining the thread so late on. Our S2 adhesive will fix tiles onto chip-board and we can say this with confidence, what we can’t say is that your chip-board is of a suitable type to be tiled on to. It has been well documented that tiling to chip-board can cause problems such as tiles de-bonding or the chip-board expanding and contracting due to the addition of moisture from the adhesives. Most chip-boards are not good for tiling because they are very unstable and not treated against the ingress of moisture and those that are rarely have the tongue and groove treated which is a passage for moisture ingress. If moisture gets in on these edges it can cause a problem called “grinning”, which causes the boards to curl up at the edges and could potentially cause tiles to de-bond. That said there are some better quality chip-boards around that can be tiled directly too. These types of chip-boards may have a vinyl/Formica type covering which will help in keeping the moisture out. There are some manufacturers that will say their chip-boards cannot be tiled onto directly because they are unstable, and with that information it would be hard to guarantee any product onto an unstable substrate. British Standards 5385 state that all substrates for tiling onto must be dry, strong, stable and clean. If the chip-board you would like to tile is not the correct type then I would recommend over laying it with a 6mm tile backer board. These boards will create a sound and stable substrate to tile onto. Also the Anti-fracture Matting is designed to absorb lateral movement in heated floors not to absorb deflection, it may add something to the make up of the floor but if there is deflection something more substantial will be needed, and do not forget no matter how flexible your adhesive is your tiles are not.
Excellent post.
So good I thought it was worth repeating.
10/10

S

Simon benn Leeds

Just wandering about your slc (mainly levelflex) onto stable chipboard?

Only reason for asking is (a long long time ago maybe 6 years) i was instructed to use levelflex onto the metal computer flooring before tile installation around 300mq2, I went back about a year ago for some other works and couldn't even see a cracked joint!. As solid as the day it was laid.
I don't imagine it's an application you would recommend however it has worked like a treat.

By the way massive fan of your products!.

Last edited by a moderator:
O

Old Mod

Excellent post.
So good I thought it was worth repeating.
10/10

Totally agree Steve!

Actually had occasion to speak with Glynn this morning,
really nice fella and of course not only is he a fixer, but also very knowledgeable as u can see!
Be kool if we're able to spend more time visiting the forum!

P

p4ulo

@JamesHardie - is the HardieFloor a new product, or just one that not a lot of suppliers keep in stock.
Looks like good stuff, cos the 12mm solid stuff weighs a ton....is this lighter?

J

JamesHardie

@p4ulo HardieFloor has been out for a couple of years now in 2400x500 sheet sizes. This year we launched a 1200x500x22mm smaller sheet size. This size is currently only available in CTD and Selco. It weights 15kg a sheet. You need to remember it is cement and not wood so it feels very solid and robust underfoot, doesn't expand and contract with exposure to moisture, and the tile bond strength is great.

Glynn

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the vote of confidence on myself and our product. Has I said earlier it is because the chip-boards can be very unstable once moisture is introduced, that to tile them or Levelflex them would mean a possible failure. We need to ask why it was over laid with ply in the first place, and if the customer does not want a quality, long lasting tiling installation with a slight increase in the floor height then direct them to Carpetright. I will try to be on the forum more in the future.

Reply to Tiling on water resistant chipboard in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks