Search the forum,

Discuss Tiling on underfloor heating warm panel in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Jon

-
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've put water underfloor heating down in our bathroom using "ProWarm Warm panel" which are panels with premade tracks for the pipes in wet rooms. The panels are glued together but not glued down (consistent with manufacturers instruction) and with plastic end panels which enables the pipe to turn back - these are screwed down to the plywood. I found it strange that the warm panels are not glued/fixed down, any comments would be appreciated). Under the panels I have 18mm PLY on top of wooden joists with kingspan in between joists.

Apparently the UFH panels can be tiled onto directly - however the company that sells them recommends a 6mm ply to be used between boards and tiles - this sounds strange to me but I am a bit scared tiling directly as well as the pipes are exposed so could be damaged by mistake.

To summarise:
  • Is it strange that the panels are 'floating' on the plywood and, if so, how would you fix them?
  • Would you tile directly on top of the UFH boards? If not, what would you put on top and how would you fix it?

Many thanks,
Jon

Capture.PNG

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
Do not put ply on top, that would be contrary to British Standards and is likely to fail. To tile directly onto the panels you would need to get a specification direct from an adhesive manufacturer. Try Building Adhesives, Kerakoll, Ardex or Norcros. You might want to prepare yourself for bad news!

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
We just had a thread on our electrical forum about ProWarm.

Every manufacturer of electric underfloor heating wont honour a warranty unless it's connected by a Part-P certified sparky. There's a sparky that found a supplier who would honour it even if the homeowner did it.

We had several suppliers on the forum saying no way. That's void. How can we trust the homeowner, where is the line drawn. Kinda thing.

Turns out it was ProWarm.

Seems they're flogging anything to anyone for any spec then by the looks of it!

Plywood has no use in any building trade these days. It isn't the solid wood it used to be.

EandOE.

Last edited:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
p.s. I know this is water in your case - but it was the same supplier, electric in the other case. Hopefully if you have an issue they do actually honour their warranty.

J

J Sid

You don't need to glue them do it your putting a wooden floor on top. I seen this done and was terrible.
For your size of floor I'd take it up and glue it down, refit pipes, uncoupling membrane and tile
[automerge]1569950364[/automerge]
Just seen your pick of the one you have. No my choice but have seen them used. Screwed down every 300mm onto wooden subfloor

Last edited by a moderator:

Jon

-
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I’ve not chosen wisely. What are my options here? I cannot completely reroute the circuit as I have already fitted floors in neighbouring rooms so the pipe length is set. I could perhaps carefully remove the warm panels and replace with something else bit would need to keep the layout of the pipe.

Any tips on how to solve this would be really appreciated.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I’ve not tiled to these systems but looking at that spec , turns it’s a floating substrate, it’s a no from me.
But As said above , fixing to substrate has to be done but always check adhesive suppliers spec/ warranty.

Reply to Tiling on underfloor heating warm panel in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen