Search the forum,

Discuss tiling on no more ply in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
Hi
I need to create a small stand up section to fit round an exposed pipe chase in utility room approx. 300mm x 150mm
First attempt was to stick tiles to ply which all fell off. I then read somewhere that you can't stick tiles to ply
2nd attempt purchased the right backing in tile shop i.e. no more ply.. glued tiles on but again most have fell off
3rd attempt glued tiles to , no more ply' laid it face down on a flat surface . On standing it up in position - tiles have fallen off again
the adhesive i'm using is from tile it all called Ball ready mix
Arghhh!!!!..... what's going on ?
I have just completed a full shower enclosure, without any problems
Anyone any ideas ?
many thanks
marion

Reaction score
Sorry to laugh but the way you wrote it had me in stitches. :D :D :D :D :D

What adhesive are you using?
Well thanks Dan, glad to be amusing :) but this is driving me mad its a stupid little upstand - I just don't know what's going on. There must be a pro in here that knows
adhesive is Bal ready mix not cheap and nasty stuff

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Well thanks Dan, glad to be amusing :) but this is driving me mad its a stupid little upstand - I just don't know what's going on. There must be a pro in here that knows
adhesive is Bal ready mix not cheap and nasty stuff
You wont be able to tile ply with dispersion adhesive.

You should have asked on here maybe before the first time they fell off, but then after the second maybe third.

And if you thought gravity was on your side, you're wrong.

You can tile to ply with the right adhesive.

Let's get this right though now.

What tiles are they?
What do we have? No more ply, is it fresh now or is adhesive all over it?

S

SJPurdy

There is something more wrong here. Its just a small pipe boxing and even ready mix should fix to that if it is primed first, assuming that it is thick enough ply and rigidly fixed to stop flexing. The no more ply is very absorbent and so again if this is not primed it will just suck the moisture out of ready mix resulting in a fail (its not intended for readymix really, but cement based addy and even then should be primed and rigidly fixed).

Is it the adhesive to tile or the adhesive to substrate bond that is failing?

Reaction score
The tiles are wall tiles 8m however the box is Turkish and that's about the info we can understand :(
We got them for tops tiles
Adhesive is Bal grip + fibre enchanced ready mix
the adhesive stays mostly on the backing when they fall off. BTW a couple of the tiles have remained in place!!
The backing is very sound and rigid
I thought this was the purpose of 'no more ply' that it didn't have to be primed?
we are now about to try using plasterboard for the backing
should we use this ready mix adhesive or we have some floor tile powder that we could mix up

Reply to tiling on no more ply in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen