Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Tiling new bathroom, kitchen, etc. (ceramic tiles) in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

trubb

I've been doing a lot of research to determine the best way forward with the tiling I need to do. I've read a lot of information on different websites, as well as a downloaded copy of the BAL fixer guide.

The house is early 1900s (late victorian or early edwardian)... The new bathroom walls are ~90% plasterboard and a small amount is old plaster (probably lime and sand). The bathroom flooring is old floorboards, and a small section of OSB3 board... The new kitchen walls are a mixture of plasterboard, old plaster, and cement render (although I will be plastering or boarding the cement render anyway). Over half of the kitchen flooring is old floorboards, two small sections of OSB3 board, and the rest is solid concrete.

I've read the information in a thread here, which was pretty useful regarding tiling onto floorboards: http://www.tilersforums.com/tiling-forum/3057-can-i-tile-directly-onto-floorboards.html

From information in the BAL fixer guide, I've determined that using BAL ctf4 adhesive would probably be suitable for tiling onto both wall surfaces (plasterboard and old plaster), however may need to use BAL Primer or BAL Prime APD on the old plaster. I know tiling on uneven surfaces can be problematic and although the walls are pretty flat anyway, according to the product information it will allow up to 12mm bed of adhesive in limited areas.

For tiling the floors, I may use the same method posted by petergft in the thread linked above. Failing that, may use something like this for minimal raising of the floor: No More Ply 6mm Tile Backer board 1200x600mm - Backerboards - Adhesive, Grout Etc. Trade Price Tiles

This is basically where I'm at, at the moment. Any feedback would be appreciated.

My other question related to this is regarding different brands. Although I haven't really been able to do a proper price comparison yet, the adhesives, primers, etc required are quite expensive and I know you get what you pay for, but is it worth considering using any other or cheaper brands other than BAL, and if so what would be the best way of finding equivilents?

Thanks.

I

Ian

BAL products are excellent but, overpriced, as you have seen. Weber or tilemaster products are of equal quality yet much better value.

T

Time's Ran Out

Getting the preparation right to avoid using adhesive to 12mm is the way forward.
There is no DIY adhesive out there of the quality of Bal and with their technical support and 40+ years of experience you'd be better paying for their products to ensure confidence in your project. Enjoy!

Reply to Tiling new bathroom, kitchen, etc. (ceramic tiles) in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks