Search the forum,

Discuss tiling a bath panel in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dagger

bath panels can be created loads of ways....

wedi,hardi,ply, plasterboard (tanked), this one was created with ply over 2x2 carcuss:

1111111111111111111111e.jpg

note the 4 little screw caps.....other ways can make them invisible!...unless brickbond....then you are stuffed!

here you go!

B

bootsmckiber

Don't even mess around second guessing yourself,use the right stuff and it won't come back to bite you in the backside,I'm sure any reputable tile supply store would steer you right,here in Canada I always use Hardi-board in the bathrooms then waterproof it with "Red Guard" or Mapei's "Maplastic HPG"haven't had a bathroom callback in 27 years,don't skimp on materials and your job should outlast you,good luck,Mike:welcome:

Last edited by a moderator:
S

simhopper

Sorry, but I have to disagree.

Hardi is £7.50+vat but that is for the 6mm boards, not the 12mm. The 6mm boards are no good for panels only for overboarding a floor.
You can get 10mm Wedi (BA10 - 2500 x 600) approx £23+vat from CTD.
I agree it will be slightly more expensive than the Hardi but not vastly different.

The Wedi is cement lined fibreboard, so pretty strong too.

I pay £7.50+vat for 12mm, £9.75 +vat fot 6mm

Can you bend 12mm Hardibacker?It will snap before it bends, Wedi will bend easily.We use 12mm Hardibacker as a facing panel on wall hung wc pans, spacing is 550mm between timber and there is no movement when the bolts are tightened....Could a wedi board do this?

B

bootsmckiber

I've never heard of a WEDI board,is it exclusive to England cause I haven't heard of it across the pond,and along with that I'll say we do have other material more flexible,lighter,and yes more expensive,I was just stating what works for me,and like the old saying goes,if it ain't broken,don't fix it,just reseal it every few years

D

Deleted member 1779

I know I am not answering the question BUT

Its always worth considering a good old roll top!

bath_full.jpg

If you can get-em (the clients) at the design stage saves a lot of fiddly!

F

frank-e-boy

Ive not tiled any bath panels, but I have ripped many of them out when re-fitting bathrooms. Most are tiled onto ply wood and dont seem to have any problems. As long as it is not flexing, you use the right adhesive and sela it correctly, you wont have any problems. No need to over engineer an simple problem IMO.

B

bootsmckiber

I wouldn't call it over engineering I'd call it doing the job right,they have certain materials for certain jobs and there's a reason for that.I don't know about England but over in the colonies we have a thing called "building code"and it is regulated,if the proper material isn't used in certain places,then it's getting ripped out and replaced at your expense ,I don't see what the bother is anyways,people looking for the cheap way out,the customer pays for the material,get the right stuf fand you won't be going back with your tail between your legs six months later,cheersMike

T

tiler4u

Hello,

I thinking, Hardibeckers boards + flexible adhesive and double check, if somthing moving you have to put some additional legings.

Sometimes i see people doing beautiful bath panels but there is no accsses panel. If something block you have to smash your briliant panel...

image1.jpg

DSCF3909.jpg

Reply to tiling a bath panel in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log...
Replies
Views
Hello, I am a noob trying to tile our shower. Since the old tiles were taken off, some of that...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Replies you've not seen

You're browsing the UK Tiling Forum category on TilersForums.com, the tile advice website no matter which country you reside.