Search the forum,

Discuss Tile Cutter Wet,Dry Needed Repitive cuts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

Deafty

Hello. I'm a DIY're

I am tiling two rooms.

1. Kitchen 16sqm with 45cmx45cm Porcellain. (8mm thickness)
2. Hallway 8sqm with 60x30 (material unknown for now)

For the Kitchen I will laying a diamond pattern.
I intend to cut aproximately an 8cm 45degree line of one corner of each Tile. This will allow me to insert a small square mosaic in the middle of four layed tiles.

I have Tiling experience but have never before made cuts that will be vissible.

what Cutter tool would you reccomend?

I am on a tight budget but need something for repetitive cutting.

So far my issue is finding an affordable one that can cut 45cmx45cm on the Diagonal.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

D.

G

Gazzer

I would make a jig out of some ply for a base with some strips of wood to hold the tile in place on 2 sides. A guide over the tile along the line where you wish to cut would give you something to cut against with an angle grinder/diamond wheel.

I wouldnt do it that way myself, I would use my Dewalt DW24000 wet cutter but seeing as you want a cheap alternative !

D

Deafty

Thanks,..good tip.

I have good skills with a grinder, so it is an option.

However,..I would prefer a more consistent method. Money is an issue,. but I can Hire a decent wet saw (cuts to 700mm) for 40 Euro a weekend.

Are you saying a wet saw would prove better results for an exposed cut?? I do realise your Dwalt is a dream machine and unless I start my own business over here I certainly can't justify the expense. Although as soon as my own tiling project is finished I am sure to have requests from friends and family for their homes.

Still,..I know I can do my two rooms to a high quality finish with the correct cutter.
My cost is 650 Euro + Tools.
My Quote received for complete job is 3500 Euro.

Thanks,. and please remember we are looking at porcilain tiles with repititive exposed cuts.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The D

trade tiler :thumbsup:
Rubi Star-60-N PLUS
Rubi have improved the original star cutters. Mostly buy replacing some plastic component for metal ones
If you are not a full time tiler or are moving into tiling and can't justify the price of the professional ranges then the Rubi Star machines are great.
- Maximum cutting length: 610mm (24")
- Maximum cutting thickness: 12mm (1/2")
- Moving breaking system
- Lateral stop for repetitive and 45° cutting
- Fold out outrigger arms support tile
- Direct view of the cutting and scoring line
- Includes rugged shockproof carry case and 6mm scoring wheel
Price: £74.60 £87.66 Including VAT at 17.5%

D

Deafty

Yeah I've been looking at it,..

What I really would like to know is,.. Do I use a manual cutter, or a wet saw? (exposed cut lines!!)
I have always hidden them when against a wall,.but for this project they will be in the middle of the floor.

thanks.

D.

D

doug boardley

but the cut lines and where they meet the inset will be grouted won't they? why not smooth the edges with a carboundum stone?

G

Gazzer

It will all depends on the tile to as what sort of edge it will leave. Some tiles cut better than others. Some cutting wheels cut better than others. Its a case of suck it and see.

T

The D

for use on porcelain

Montolit Diamond pad set

Diamond hand pads for smoothing the edges of any type of:

- Marble
- Granite
- Porcelain
- Stoneware
- Ceramics

Blue = Medium grit
Red = Fine grit

Can be used wet or dry

Price: £39.00 £45.83 Including VAT at 17.5%

Quantity:

D

Deafty

Hmmm,..Yes the tiles will be grouted with the inset. And rounding them slightly with a stone/file is a must.

I understand the subtle sifferences between various blades and wheels in terms of the final cut.

Can I ask for a direction to be lead into,..

(8mm thick porcilain tile. cut on the diagonal.)

If I had the best possible result from a wet saw and a manual cutter,..which one would be better?

I really do have the option of both but it's stuck in my head that wet saw would provide a better finish.
Is this >True?

thanks.

D

doug boardley

Hmmm,..Yes the tiles will be grouted with the inset. And rounding them slightly with a stone/file is a must.

I understand the subtle sifferences between various blades and wheels in terms of the final cut.

Can I ask for a direction to be lead into,..

(8mm thick porcilain tile. cut on the diagonal.)

If I had the best possible result from a wet saw and a manual cutter,..which one would be better?

I really do have the option of both but it's stuck in my head that wet saw would provide a better finish.
Is this >True?

thanks.
yes...

Reply to Tile Cutter Wet,Dry Needed Repitive cuts in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen