Search the forum,

Discuss Thin Cuts / Slithers in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

padtheplumber

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Hi guys

I was wondering what the general consensus is when setting out - do you avoid slither cuts like the plague, or are they just part and parcel of the job sometimes and you don't worry about it?

As an example if you had a fairly standard bathroom, decent size ceramic tiles would you be happy to leave a thin cut (30mm) in a corner over a bath so you could start full tile from a window or would you look for another option?

Just curious to see what your opinions are on a situation like this.

Cheers

Mart
:)

O

Old Mod

Hey Mart, (ah ha! I got ur name now!:D)
This 30mm cut, is it on the window wall?
Is it near the window?
Pic may help if u have one.
Thing is, on entering any room our eyes are always drawn to the biggest light source first, so if u have any small cuts in the vicinity of the window these will be magnified.
So for me if I have to compromise with a small cut for any reason I do my utmost to hide it in an opposite corner or behind a door.
Probably don't help your setting out much tho haha

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Always look at getting the biggest cut possible. .....my pet hate is seeing slithers when all it needs is maybe halfing the tile from the center of a wall.

padtheplumber

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Cheers guys,

Maybe I could ask the question in a different way;

If starting full tile from one side of a window (which means a bit less cutting) would leave a 30mm cut into the corner of a wall over a bath (on the same wall) would you start here if there was another option which left better cuts into the corners, but meant more cut tiles around the window?

Just trying to gauge whether you would rather have less cuts around the window, but a thin cut in one corner, or more cuts around a window but a bigger cut into a corner,
or does a thin cut not worry you either way?

thanks again
Mart.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Setting out is always key. If you ended up with a 30mm cut at the top of the window, pull it down 30mm so it's a full tile and then check everything else to see how that's effected. If it leaves 30mm somewhere else, pull it down another 30mm so you're now full tile on that (the bath or floor or whatever) and cutting 30mm off the tile above the window.

If that then leaves 30mm above something else, pull it down again.

You need to check the level of everything too because you want full tile on the lowest point of the floor, as full tile on the highest point is going to leave a slither on the lowest point.

So you go in a room with a level and marker / pencil first. Then your tile guage staff. Then your tiles.

Actually you probably go in with other stuff first to make everything good for tiling. But that's the order you go in when that's all prepared.

It makes life a lot easier when you've planned it all well.

Makes a change from going in with a pipe bender and gas gun eh? Hehe

Last edited:

Reply to Thin Cuts / Slithers in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen