Search the forum,

Discuss The Use Of The Multi Tool in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com.

ANDY F

TF
Reaction score
Afternoon all.

I've been reading who uses a multi cutter on doors and architraves etc to get a tile to slide under, but do these cutters work on cutting tiles and has anyone any experience of this?

When I was having my drama the other week, trying to envelope a tile that was too big for my wet cutter (see how do I cut this? thread) the general consensus was to cut it with a grinder. Did it, neatish job, customer happy.

But what if its thrashing it down with rain outside, nowhere to get the grinder out (too much dust for inside). Never heard of a tiler being rained off! Can the multi tool cut tiles or is a combination of grinder and wet cutter the only solution?

Your thoughts please.....

B

Bill

Afternoon all.

I've been reading who uses a multi cutter on doors and architraves etc to get a tile to slide under, but do these cutters work on cutting tiles and has anyone any experience of this?

When I was having my drama the other week, trying to envelope a tile that was too big for my wet cutter (see how do I cut this? thread) the general consensus was to cut it with a grinder. Did it, neatish job, customer happy.

But what if its thrashing it down with rain outside, nowhere to get the grinder out (too much dust for inside). Never heard of a tiler being rained off! Can the multi tool cut tiles or is a combination of grinder and wet cutter the only solution?

Your thoughts please.....
Buy a pop up shelter.......... then you can cut outdoor or use 110v stuff and you can still cut outdoor or buy a decent battery grinder and you can still work outdoor

P

p4ulo

I'm not sure you could get a multi-tool to start up gently enough to get it in place nicely (does that make sense) also, because it oscillates back and forth, I think you'd be looking at some chippage at each end of the cut, whereas a grinder / wet wheel presents a continuous or at least a cutting blade that only spins in one direction....

O

Old Mod

Bosch do a diamond half disc specifically aimed at cutting tiles,
I've not tried it or bought one, they're £49.99! :eek:

ANDY F

TF
Reaction score
The grinder seems to be the best option. £50 a blade and no-one knows if it'll work! Not going to risk trying it. Still want a multi tool though

O

Old Mod

Does anyone use multi tool for removing old grout or broken tiles?

For grout yes, tiles .......not that I can ever remember.
Just old reliable SDS and hammer and bolster/chisel/screwdriver/wood chisel/ anything pointy/ bigger hammer/ or client! :D

Just a slight different direction to @ANDY F post, which are best, battery or cabled versions?

Both have their merits, battery can be convenient and quick.. Stops u having to find power but can be restrictive cos they tend to be bulkier.
Cabled have more grunt, are generally smaller, but finding power can be a pain and getting tangled in the cable when you're in a tight space is grounds for smashing it against a wall!:D

Hope this helps!!!:p:p

Reply to The Use Of The Multi Tool in the Tiling Tools | Tile Cutters, Trowels area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

Tiling Tools

Find the cheapest price for both professional and DIY wall and floor tiling tools in the UK. Brands such as Rubi, Genesis, Fein, Karl Dahm, isomat, Schluter, Tilemaster and more.

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen