Discuss The passion for your manual tile cutter in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

Gazzer

Over the time i have been on these fine forums, the most common tool question has to be what manual tile cutter is best. The problem being is that we will never all agree on the same brand but what is it that makes the cutter of your choice the one for you.
Over the last 30 years and before seeing as my dad is a tiler, i have seen most on the market and used most. From the days when Quarry tiles were cut with a smalll chisel and hammer up to date where my personal choice is a Sigma.
For me its the sigma, i like its rugged build and wheel life. Before that i thought i was a Rubi man forever. I can say for sure that its outlasted any of the Rubi TS models i ever owned.

So what is it you like about your choice of cutter?

C

charlie1

Im only new at this, about 2 yrs and the cutter i use is a genisis. I find it pretty good. I dont think it has ever struggled with anything i have ever thrown at it. It cutts very accurate and it has very good visibility for doing more designer cutts. Its also quite light for getting in and out the van.

I also have a rubi pocket 40 and I havent always liked it but over time i have found this to be a great wee cutter. Very light, ideal for kitchen splash backs.

The main thing I find with the manual cutter is to always give them plenty lubracation with WD40 at the end of the day to keep them good.

W

White Room

Rubi's for me at the moment, The spare blades are easy to come buy but there are now a vast awray of cutters available on the market now. So when the rubi start falling apart may look at others.
Tradesmen are slow to change and prefer to use what has worked for them over the years, I'm guilty to a certain degree as are many others:thumbsup:

If it aint broke don't fix it:grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
D

DHTiling

I have a ts40..had it for 14 yrs...still going strong....

If you have been used to single rail cutters then you might find it hard to switch to a twin rail cutter and the same for fixers who use twin rail cutters, it's hard to convert to single rail cutters....i have tried and it is hard...I like the rubi twin rail cutters because i like to see the score wheel..just what i am used too...For me trying to line up with a centre bar on the bed like the monti cutters would be strange.. i like the ease of just putting the score wheel straight onto my mark on the tile etc...

Like neale mentioned , it's what you get used to and if that particular cutter works for you then stick with it.

Because what works for one fixer might not for another...:thumbsup:

D

Daz

I concur with everyone else. I have tied single rail cutters and, personally, prefer a twin rail so am sticking with my Rubi.

One day I may change, but like many, I like to stick with what I know.

D

Droopy

Sigma for me too, SR. And for the same reasons.

But I do admit to being tempted by the new Rubi TI range.

F

frankenfurter

Used to use a rubi as I like to see the wheel, but was introduced to sigma's probably around 7-8 years ago. Love the style and design but couldn't see the wheel and felt out of control and spent more time leaning from one side to the other trying line to up.

Then I found the drag action models, so then I could see my wheel for lining up and had all the benefits of the single rail design. Match made in heaven and wouldn't look back :)

G

Gazzer

Frankenfurter, thats an interesting point. I came from a rubi to a pull model Sigma so i know no problem you faced. Having never tried the Sigma push model i cant comment too much.
I have heard that people dont like the pull action as they say its harder pn the wrist, again i have never seen that problem.

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
i own rubi , sigma and the montolit.. , rubi twin rails were good in their day but are outdated now imo, plus the slide on the rails do wear , my ts30 has a fair bit of wobble these days and dont get me started on the tx range :grin: , the monty is a great cutter but if you put a gun to my head i would have to go for the sigma ..:thumbsup:

C

charlie1

I do like the look of the sigma, Do they come with a case? and where do you get them?

O

oldgit

I do like the look of the sigma, Do they come with a case? and where do you get them?
from what i was told by diatech last week they are now available one box fits all upto the 70cm size they cost £50 ish with vat.
im looking to change from rubi to sigma (push) but this thread has me confused me again regarding the push pull issue.
i believe you can get a gadget whereas you can push or pull:confused::confused::confused:

O

Olz

I love my Felker (husqvarna) TC 670, the pull handle action breaker is great, and i've not had any problems with it at all, it's not too heavy either. Although i would have probably chosen the Rubi Ti66 if it came with a case :whatchutalkingabout

Reply to The passion for your manual tile cutter in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks