Search the forum,

Discuss tanking domestic shower in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

F

fender

is it important or not to waterproof or tank the walls of a domestic shower would the waterproof adhesive and grout be sufficient only asking as the owner of the house I am working on has tiled the shower area himself without tanking the walls just wondering over the long term what would happen as he said as its only domestic and not heavy use it will be ok

Q

Qwerty

Waterproof adhesive & grout? I'm curious what was used. Some modern showers have just as much pressure and use as some commercial showers. What were the substrates?

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I offer and recommend tanking on all my jobs. However it is up to the customer if there budget will allow this...

Obviously if its a wet room etc then they have to have it.

S

Sean SML Tiling

B and q lol well thats what they state. Id rather quit my job than use that gear

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
is it important or not to waterproof or tank the walls of a domestic shower would the waterproof adhesive and grout be sufficient only asking as the owner of the house I am working on has tiled the shower area himself without tanking the walls just wondering over the long term what would happen as he said as its only domestic and not heavy use it will be ok
It's likely that all will be fine, I wouldn't be taking it all off. Only time will tell.
If he has used " waterproof" adhesive ( there s no such thing) , its probably a ready mixed adhesive, this is not a good adhesive for a shower, nor is it suitable for porcelain.
as for future problems, if its not tanked and used cheap adhesive, he's probably not used good quality silicone. All these points will have an effect on longevity of the shower.

F

fender

I am only quering the possibility of water penetration in the long term without tanking the walls any body got any experience of a tiling job they have done without tanking and have had any comebacks because of it thanks

Q

Qwerty

I am only quering the possibility of water penetration in the long term without tanking the walls any body got any experience of a tiling job they have done without tanking and have had any comebacks because of it thanks

No experience of any comebacks because of my tiling jobs with no tanking as I tank all of my walls. I have on the other hand rectified plenty that haven't!

Reply to tanking domestic shower in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen