Currently reading:
tanking domestic shower

Search the forum,

Discuss tanking domestic shower in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Tadcaster
is it important or not to waterproof or tank the walls of a domestic shower would the waterproof adhesive and grout be sufficient only asking as the owner of the house I am working on has tiled the shower area himself without tanking the walls just wondering over the long term what would happen as he said as its only domestic and not heavy use it will be ok
It's likely that all will be fine, I wouldn't be taking it all off. Only time will tell.
If he has used " waterproof" adhesive ( there s no such thing) , its probably a ready mixed adhesive, this is not a good adhesive for a shower, nor is it suitable for porcelain.
as for future problems, if its not tanked and used cheap adhesive, he's probably not used good quality silicone. All these points will have an effect on longevity of the shower.

Q

Qwerty

I am only quering the possibility of water penetration in the long term without tanking the walls any body got any experience of a tiling job they have done without tanking and have had any comebacks because of it thanks

No experience of any comebacks because of my tiling jobs with no tanking as I tank all of my walls. I have on the other hand rectified plenty that haven't!

Aspect Tiling

TF
Arms
Re tiled a shower cubicle last week due to a leak. Granted this is quite extreme due to poor tiling and no seal around the shower control behind the face plate but this could of been prevented by tanking and sealing in the 1st place. I show similar pictures to customers if they're unsure tanking is needed.

tanking.jpg tanking 2.jpg tanking 3.jpg

F

fender

if and when water does penetrate through the grouting or wherever its getting through as I can see in the photos if the walls are tanked where does the water go then just quering for the future as a plasterer I have done some tiling in the past eg kitchens and floors etc but never wet rooms etc as I may get back into it as the weather is preventing any work going on outside so just looking for any info I can get thanks

Reply to tanking domestic shower in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you have shower leakage that goes downstairs leading to either your main floor or basement? Read this blog...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement