Discuss taking up badly laid tiles, and levelling in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Doggit

TF
Reaction score
There's no real place for this thread, so here goes.

The house was built 1930 (by gerry builders) and has a 4" aggregate floor in the kithen, and seems to have a painted DPM about half inch below the floor level, then a light screed of sorts before the tiles were laid, and then the last owners laid a new set of tiles on top of them.

The current owner wants Porcelain tiles for durability, and although they have central heating, the existing floor is always cold in the winter, so they were wondering about an electric mat should to take the edge off.

Suggestions how to handle this project please guys.

W

White Room

Me personally I get someone who knows that area of expertise, there are so many issues which need to addressed IMO.

W

WetSaw

Sounds like you want to be starting again from ground level. I'd personally go for wet underfloor heating if the boiler has the capacity but, as Whitebeam says, it'll be more than a tiling job

Doggit

TF
Reaction score
  • The boiler doesn't have the extra capacity, but they're only looking to take the chill off of the floor, not for heating the room. I've no problem taking up both sets of old tile, and a 100W/sqm will warm the floor up, I suppose my initial question is how best to level the floor, and get the dpm in it. Do I need to level the floor first, then apply the DPM, then re-level, or are there other ways of doing it.

Reply to taking up badly laid tiles, and levelling in the Tiling on Underfloor Heating area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks