Search the forum,

Discuss Suggestions....Which cutter for 900mm plus cuts in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

C

clipboard2008

Hi

I have
6 bathrooms to do with 900x330mm ceramic tiles
160m2 of 900x600mm limestone

I''ve also just completed 2 bathrooms with 1000x330mm tiles so I'm coming across a lot more larger format tiles

My question is which tile cutter do I buy to future proof myself?

I have a Dewalt D24000 which is good for the ceramics but not going to work for the stone due to the weight and trying to control the tile

I'm looking at:
- Battipav Prime 120s (concerned it's a seriously expensive piece of kit)
Battipav Prime 120S Electric Tile Cutter 110V | Tiles and Bathrooms Online
- Flex CS60 (concerned that the only way of getting water t this is by using it near a tap where I can connect a hose)
0000000084367 flex flxcs60grs80 cs60 wet saw 240v 800mm guide rail

I used to have a Rubi DW250N but sold for the desalt as I found it just made a real mess where ever I used it compared with the Dewalt

Can anyone suggest anything that I am missing or any other suggestions?

Does anyone have either of these?

Thanks for your help

C

clipboard2008

I'm not looking to get rid of the dewalt but add to it, the dewalt is too good a tool and will always have its use

I just need a good piece of kit to cover the bigger format tiles that are now coming up more frequently

O

Old Mod

I've got Rubi TC 180. It's wet & dry. With decent dust extraction u can use inside no problem but u must have blade at full cutting depth otherwise the cowling doesn't collect all the dust. When usin wet u must use outside. It's half price of the Flex but doesn't mitre. Use Festool guides and quick release clamps. U can get festool 1400 guide for under £60 whereas Rubi 800mm is over £80 and quick clamps over £50. There is one mil diff between two guides but no noticeable difference. The cutting blade will also overhang the Festool guide by 4mm but u can adjust for that when marking out your cut. It sounds fiddly but it truly isn't and with the right blade for the right material it'll give u factory cuts (well near enough) I regularly use it on 600x300 Porc and gives cuts clean enough to use as a leading edge on windows. if u can access CTD it's stil on offer at under £400. Bargain!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    360.6 KB · Views: 261
O

Old Mod

Just seen price of Flex, that's £200 cheaper than when I last looked so maybe close call, Flex is an excellent brand and does variable mitres. But big draw back is that it's wet only. The dry cut on Rubi is real handy if u wanna stay dry and warm haha

C

clipboard2008

Thanks 3_fall
I have seen the Rubi and did think it was good but besides yourself not too many people have reviewed it. Handy to know you can use it dry,
I read on one of your other posts that you use a trend dust extractor, so when cutting does this remove all dust?
Which blade do you use with this? And how clean are the cuts when using it dry?
My local CTD are desperate to get rid of their TC180 and have offered it to me for £325 inc VAT
I can get the Flex with 800mm rail for £635 but I can't use it dry so I will have to have a water hose connected.
I have Dewalt rails for my plunge saw so I may be able to use these?

O

Old Mod

My local CTD are desperate to get rid of their TC180 and have offered it to me for £325 inc VAT
Wow they're giving that away!
Well with correct blade for the material the dry cut is as good as wet, but obviously u get more life outta the blade if u use wet. I've only tried Rubi blades thus far, but they're a standard 180 and 22.2 bore. I've used the SEV for stone, rips thro that and TCR for porcelain. That's their Turbo Blade. Similar to the Marcrist CK850. Wet porcelain I've used Rubi CPC 180.
As for Dewalt Rails I've no idea what they look like so can't comment I'm afraid.
Dust extraction with the Trend is excellent, but it depends on your budget. And the only real downside I've found is that indoors u need to have the blade at max cutting depth because if u don't the blade cowling doesn't drop low enough to capture all the dust, which I did find out the hard way. Had it set to 18mm indoors and dust went everywhere but had no choice. It had to be done that way.
Heres a pic where I've used it dry indoors and used cut edge as a leading edge around window. The full set of pics are in the 'wall and floor tilers work' thread, entitled Another Loft.
Hope I've covered everything.
Good luck choosing! Haha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 258

Reply to Suggestions....Which cutter for 900mm plus cuts in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen