Discuss Suggest a cheap/decent Tile cutter? in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

W

wau5

Hi guys, I need to do some tiling with 500mm tiles and I'm looking for a decent yet cheap&cheerful tile cutter which would last me one bathroom worth of tile cutting and can cut decently tiles this size. I have got a smaller cutter already but that's no good for these large tiles.
Anyone got any recommendations?
I have found this Vitrex 102360 Heavy-Duty Tile Cutter 500mm
Vitrex 102360 Heavy-Duty Tile Cutter 500mm - http://www.toolstop.co.uk/vitrex-102360-heavy-duty-tile-cutter-500mm-p17454

£24 ,however some of the amazon reviews suggested that it isn't the best tool out there,yet it had the less bad reviews out of almost all tile cutters on amazon..

If anyone can suggest me something better in £30 budget that would be great, or maybe this is good enough? I just need it for 1 time, and than it will probably be collecting dust for years so I'm not keen on spending a lot on it.

I have no problems buying an used tool as well if someone can give me some very good models that come up often on fleabay.

Thanks.

W

wau5

Ceramic tiles, after doing more digging seems like you can't even buy a decent tile cutter for £30? but are looking at more like something like £100? ouch....

W

WetSaw

Probably be better to go and hire a decent cutter, especially if they're porcelain tiles.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Buy a sigma tile cutter do your job then sell it.....you will get most of your money back as there outstanding cutter's, and in demand !

W

wau5

those sigma cutters seems outstanding indeed having watched some YT videos, however... No way I can tie up some £250 for a tile cutter when I had originally budgeted 10x less for one :(

what about electric cutters, Is a cheap £40 electric tile cutter going to be a better than a £40 manual one?
I mean the ability to cut 300x500mm tiles all nice and even, I don't care about the mess it makes since its a 1 off job.

W

WetSaw

Have you said what type of tiles you have?

The problem with cheap cutters , wet or dry , is most struggle with porcelain and a cheap wet cutter invariably will have a cheap blade which will struggle to cut porcelain.

W

wau5

Have you said what type of tiles you have?

The problem with cheap cutters , wet or dry , is most struggle with porcelain and a cheap wet cutter invariably will have a cheap blade which will struggle to cut porcelain.

I will be using it with ceramic tiles.

W

wau5

Seems like it would cost to hire one for a week 1/3 to 1/2 of what it costs to buy the tool myself... makes no sense to do that..
Have never ever used tool hire companies because of the prices they charge, except for some very very specific and very expensive stuff which I have needed only for a few hours.

D

Dumbo

Seems like it would cost to hire one for a week 1/3 to 1/2 of what it costs to buy the tool myself... makes no sense to do that..
Have never ever used tool hire companies because of the prices they charge, except for some very very specific and very expensive stuff which I have needed only for a few hours.
I don't know which company you are looking at but brandon hire are expensive unless you have an account. jewson hire I find are quite good or possibly a tile shop particularly if you got your tiles from them .

W

wau5

Yeah I just didn't know how much they cost, I have a very old crude russian made small tile cutter which has just worked perfectly for probably over 30+years and has made superb cuts.. had a quick look online how much a larger version that looks similar costs and seemed like some £25 for a manual one, so thought I will just get something like that and be done with it...

Until, I started to do more research and realized that EVERY cheap/average priced tile cutter sold now is a cheap junk, I mean seriously why do they even make those cheap tat items if they aren't even fit for purpose? I'm yet to find 1 good cutter under £60 ( I'm yet to research on more expensive ones) which can do it's supposed job.

Why oh why they flood the market with these nasty tat items and just waste the earths resources making them when they are good for nothing... :(

Reply to Suggest a cheap/decent Tile cutter? in the Tile Cutters area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks