Search the forum,

Discuss Sockets on split face tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

dg-1984

TF
Glasgow
Hi all, I am going to be tiling a splash back on our kitchen.
We have found tiles that we like the look of, they are Wickes split face porcelain tiles which by the things I have read could be hassle.
These are the tiles:
A thought I just had was how you would get a socket to fit on these and look proper?
If fitting round into the window frame would you use corner trim or mitre the back off and try match them up? Know this could be a pain trim could be easier.
Or am I best returning these and keep looking for another time?
Thanks.

T

Tile Shop

Desperately trying to find a picture, from a customer we had a while back. Feature wall with sockets in. We were never told exactly how it was done, only saw the finished wall. But it appeared to me as if the tiler sorted the tiles based on the flattest of the relatively same thickness he could find, cut the tiles to size to fit the socket screws in and routered the top edge slightly so that the faceplate partially sat into the tile.

Will keep digging.

dg-1984

TF
Glasgow
I have always recessed the tile so the socket sits flush with the thinnest part of the tile - thought that would be common practice?
Haven’t done it with porcelain only slate but the process would be the same.
Mark around your socket and remove as much material as you need so it sits nicely..
Thanks how do you remove the material to get a nice right angle for the sockets? What tools used?

D

Dumbo

Thank you, I'm going to be purchasing a new grinder and blades, I was going to go with the Bosch variable speed grinder and these blades. Are these blades ok or would you get other blades for the grinding/sinking cuts?
Be aware when you run a grinder at lower speeds you get more torque hence the blade may grip more and cause it to catch and then you may skid the blade over the tile . I don't know the science but Jeremy Clarkson could explain it but i dont think he is an active member

dg-1984

TF
Glasgow
Be aware when you run a grinder at lower speeds you get more torque hence the blade may grip more and cause it to catch and then you may skid the blade over the tile . I don't know the science but Jeremy Clarkson could explain it but i dont think he is an active member
So do you think a normal grinder would suit for DIY then, or get the variable speed so can do everything with the same tool.

I put a spacer behind the socket/ FCU and cut the tile to that.
Like this.

DSC_1454.JPG

DSC_1455.JPG

dg-1984

TF
Glasgow
Like this.

View attachment 105090

View attachment 105091

Like this.

View attachment 105090

View attachment 105091
Thanks for that, what size spacer did you use?
Did you grout between all the tiles? Just asking as I head ready some people hadn't grouted the tiles and just butted them close together.
Also wondered if you found it hard to grout due to different heights and textured face of the tiles?
Thanks.

Reply to Sockets on split face tiles in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

• Question
Hi all, I am planning to tile a full height panel of split face tiles to sit 3” behind a log burner on a plaster render on blockwork wall. I’m planning to score and scrape the paint off the...
Replies
Views
https://www.tilersforums.com/threads/shower-bath-tiling-preparation-plaster-and-wooden-windowsill.83462/#gsc.tab=0 There was some heated argument in the above thread! I don't have much...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old fittings, and old wall tiles and floor carpet). This consisted of a quadrant shower enclosure, a...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent bathroom (600x600 porcelain, about 25m walls and floors) which went pretty well. I'm now having a go...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.

Advertisement

Birthdays