Discuss So How Was Your Day? in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com.

W

WetSaw

So the wife decided I'm going to have a BBQ for my birthday tomorrow and I have to have an Andysday today to go shopping with her, what's that all about.

O

Old Mod

Just as an update to my 'feel sorry for myself post'
Last night, the head sparks was on site today and I may have made a comment about the cable. :rolleyes:
He came, he saw, he went!
And the electrician who repaired it has had to unrepair it, and will be repairing it properly tomorrow. :D
Feeling quite smug actually!
Yes yes, nothing new! :)
I did offer to take the sparky on my next project to give him some on the job training, that might have bordered on a comment too far! Haha

J

Joseph Kover

Lovely day today, heading to work, the power generator on the car gone, waiting for AA recovery, go to garage 300 quid short to start the day with. Get to site 2pm, didn't see the job upfront, twice as big as I expected to be, top of this nicely prepared floors and walls. But hey, no moaning, still happy. Time for quick prep only and let it settle . no one here, so I can wipe the bath and shower tray after the other traders left of plaster, woodcuts and whatever you imagine. Image before after meshing. Still better than it was.
Someone can explain what's the point to leave the plasterboard 5cm short and the floor doesn't go under the wall either?

20160801_144633.jpg 20160801_144655.jpg 20160801_161233.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
W

White Room

Lovely day today, heading to work, the power generator on the car gone, waiting for AA recovery, go to garage 300 quid short to start the day with. Get to site 2pm, didn't see the job upfront, twice as big as I expected to be, top of this nicely prepared floors and walls. But hey, no moaning, still happy. Time for quick prep only and let it settle . no one here, so I can wipe the bath and shower tray after the other traders left of plaster, woodcuts and whatever you imagine. Image before after meshing. Still better than it was.
Someone can explain what's the point to leave the plasterboard 5cm short and the floor doesn't go under the wall either?

View attachment 83719 View attachment 83720 View attachment 83721

Always used to leave a 10mm gap under the boards when dry lining, just in case of a small leak so the water wouldn't get sucked up into the board...say in a kitchen bathroom areas.
50mm no idea ??

J

Joseph Kover

Always used to leave a 10mm gap under the boards when dry lining, just in case of a small leak so the water wouldn't get sucked up into the board...say in a kitchen bathroom areas.
50mm no idea ??
I Wish you have done here too.. They connected the floor heating too, while the actual wiring Matt is in the box unopened. Never understood this sort of solutions.plywood on the floor not fixed, 2cm gaps between them. Seems very sloppy work, they weren't like this before.

Reaction score
So the question is can you spot the mistake the electrician made?
As I was about to Lay the last small complete floor the other night I uncovered, from under all the debris, a severed UFH cable.
It had floated to the surface through the latex and was directly beneath where the steel fabricators were installing the balustrade.
So I maticulously uncovered more cable until such time that I had exposed a loop, this way both pieces could be brought together, excess removed as repair made, easy! ...........well, or is it I ask myself this evening.
I even left a small channel in the floor to insert the cable and a flap of anti crack membrane so it could all be put back together as it should be.
Having spoke to the agent today, he assured me everything was tickety boo!
Arrived earlier and after unloading and retrieving other kit from the lock up, I had a wander round to survey the bits and pieces that I needed to do this evening.
Which, incidentally, is supposed to be my last shift!!
Having got to the said floor last I was greeted with this, it's nothing unusual, used to it by now.
View attachment 83663

View attachment 83654

View attachment 83655

Because I had to fit some skirting around that side too, I had to clean up so I could remove the 6mm ply covering the floor, but the penny was about to drop!
As you can quite clearly see, the repair has been made.
And looks like a good job!
Look.......
View attachment 83661 View attachment 83662
But can anyone tell me,
Where on gods earth am I going to put the cable?
I have never before seen something so completely stupid!!
He didn't bother removing the excess, he just joined the two pieces together and left it!
And these guys laid it!
So there's no excuse, they know (apparently) how to install UFH!!
So it has to beg the question,
Why should I even bother!!
It took the best part of a week to get the repair kit in the first place!!

Just to add to that, when I uncovered everything to remove the ply, this presented itself.
All that crap was UNDER the Corex!
View attachment 83656

And the brown residue on the tiles and nosing?
Packing tape! You know the kind they use to pack boxes, that horrible plastic tape.
View attachment 83658

The tape itself came up clear!
And the adhesive remained in the tiles and nosings.
You can see the clear tape below.

View attachment 83657

So was it really worth it I ask myself, was it really worth spending so much time and energy to bring together 7 completely different pieces of tile to create this,
View attachment 83659
View attachment 83660

When you have completely incompetent electricians and people who instruct labourers how to cover a finished piece of work!
Rant over!
W*****S mate that's all you can say about them and they think their the creame de creame of the building trade

O

Old Mod

I'm not saying my current client is particular but,
I was asked to explain why these two joints were so vastly different in size!!!!
This is a conservatory which is 80% glass and you can imagine just how warm it gets in summer, and cold in winter.
So as the skirtings were not removed I was always going to leave a generous joint at the transition between wall and floor!
But 'vastly different?' Dunno Praps my eyesight is worse than I thought! :D

image.jpeg

Reply to So How Was Your Day? in the General Off-topic Chat (nothing tile) area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay