Search the forum,

Discuss SLC vs Thick bed adhesive in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

tilemania

i have a job that requires laying 800 x 600 tiles.

weber thick bed adhesive is about the same price as a decent SLC, so why not just use thick bed adhesive and tile the floor level as you go rather than use SLC to level a floor?

it is quicker (i can start tiling today), requires less priming (thick bed adhesive will stick to pretty much anything) and no messing about getting the SLC level and true (which is a difficult task in itself). i think it will be more accurate too as i will be levelling the actual tiles.

am i missing something?

I

Ian

It depends how much thick bed you're going to use, it's always better to sort the substrate before you start tiling IMO, it will save you time over the whole job.

cam_low

TF
Reaction score
Weber tba only recommends packing out to an inch iirc. You will need to work out your levels before just jumping straight in. Sort out the substrate first then get a lovely finish and guarantee the work, especially with those large format tiles, much less forgiving.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I wouldn't fancy pulling something of that sizes out of it's bed if i was too low and didn't have enough. I think using SLC is quicker in the long run.

How much does the floor need levelling?

T

tilemania

thanks guys. you make some good points and it looks like the general consensus is do the prep right and the tiling will be easier.

i guess i find it easier and quicker to directly tile level and flat on an uneven floor rather than level it first, as the levelling is never quite perfect and i find the floor takes just as long to tile even after it has been prepped with SLC.

@ AliGAge, the floor needs on average about 10 - 15mm bed where it's worst (about 1/3 of the floor) and then the rest isn't as bad. in some places (very small areas) it's closer to 25mm but no more than that.

Reply to SLC vs Thick bed adhesive in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen