Search the forum,

Discuss Shower tray on a concrete floor Help (with bad workmanship pics!!!) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

stu-180

Sorry if this is not in the correct place, or even relevant to the forum (more of a plumbing question).

My Borther is decorating his flat he has just got the keys for, he wants to put in a shower cubical with a solid porcelain base, the flat is on the 2nd floor but has a concrete base, the plumber has told him the tray will need to be raised to allow for a waste pipe, he is expecting this to done prior to him coming to do the plumbing.

How do we go about this ?
My brother suggested bricks to raise it and then cementing the base to them (gods knows where he heard this from ..... doesn't sound right to me).
Im thinking building a solid timber frame would be more the way to go .... ??

Anyone ever done this type of thing before ?

(And yes, he has roped me in for free to tile the entire bathroom as this is how the council gave it to him.... HONEST! ..... was lost for words)

04122010036.jpg

04122010038.jpg

04122010037.jpg

And lastly, their painting effort .... class

04122010040.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Saltire69

Would build a wooden frame for it. Just make sure you fix it to the floor properly.

Mouldy

TF
Arms
Reaction score
As above, Mira trays are good but be aware that the legs are an optional extra. Buy the upstand kit relavent to the tray. If you do this then the plumber can fit with no issues, (at least he shouldn't have any!)

Alternatively build a plinth, 3" or 4" x 2" timbers with 18mm ply deck screwed to the top. Tray then needs bedding onto a weak mortar mix.

D

Deleted member 1779

Again agree with all above.

Build an upstand

shower9.jpg

Then your P-Trap is above the floor and you can run your pipe at an angle to waste.

C

cornish_crofter

I would go for a tray with a leg kit included. I know that Plumbworld.co.uk did them a couple of years ago. The legs are extra.

The legs just screwed into the underside of the Stone cast tray - there are threaded brass inserts underneath. The installation was easy peasy on both the ones I did. It is far easier and quicker than building a base.

I had done the one from plumbworld then another customer a few weeks later had sourced the EXACT same tray from Focus. We found that we had to raise the tray because of the trap/joist issues, so I got the customer to log onto the Pumbworld site and order the legs. Thankfully they fitted!

S

stu-180

Wasnt quite sure what to make of the above statement

why's that ?? Just pointing out that its a concrete base (floor) and not on the ground floor, incase someone sugests hacking in to the floor ... cant really do that as its reinforced and I don't think the people below would appreciate it, also incase someone though i could lift floor boards etc.

Anyway, thanks for the tips guys, I think I will build a timber frame and bed it in, should do the job nicely.

Reply to Shower tray on a concrete floor Help (with bad workmanship pics!!!) in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen