Search the forum,

Discuss Self Leveling Tips? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

F

Flintstone

im not the best at self leveling, always end up with trowel marks and ridges in places, has anyone got some pointers for me? I mainly have to do it when fitting Ufh. I've always tended to pour half a bucket out and spread it about with a trowel but I've seen a lot where people walk with the bucket spreading it in lines that way. Any tips for a perfect flat screed ?

M

MTiler

Everyone has their methods. The way that works for me is to use lengths of wood/battens to section off the floor as I go along, thicker than the height I need it to be. I mark on the walls the height the SLC needs to be as a guide. I dont wait for each section to dry before I do the next. I mix a whole bag at a time. The floor in the pic I had to get really flat as I was laying mosaics and it worked a treat.

Sharon

Vienna nero floor 2.jpg

F

Flintstone

Might have to get a measuring bucket and mix a bag up at a time! Hard to judge it mixing half a bag in a normal bucket

O

Old Mod

Just use baggage scales if u just want to mix a part bag.
And a measuring jug obviously :)

O

On one

Use a primer.(The SLC will flow better)
Use the right SLC for the right job(trial and error I suppose)
I use an empty 5l SBR container or similar to measure the exact amount of water. (No guesswork.)
Use a spiked roller(Gets air bubbles out and can be used to push the SLC to where you want it)
On small uneven floors or even level floors I find the highest point and go round the room with a 6foot spirit level and use thin tile offcuts or 1mm packers to find the level. When pouring the SLC this gives a rough idea where your at when trying to gauge how much and where to pour.
And make sure you silicone or spray foam all the holes and gaps on the (1st)floor as it will find a way out if it can(first hand experience)

D

Dougs Third Go

in large areas I'll mix up 3 gorilla tubs full at a time, usually 2 bags per bucket, whilst one is slaking I'll give the other ones a 2nd mix through, when all are mixed through twice I'll pour them, I always use a length of straight skirting board to push, tamp and paddle the mix once it's down, must admit that it sounds easy written down and it's probs experience that gives you the feel when to say "right, leave it now"

O

One Day

practise practise practise...
and always adding half a litre more water than recommended too.
some levelers are better than others.
My top 3 for ease of use are:
1 - TileMaster Rapid Level 30
2 - BAL LevelMax
3 - Weber floorflex

F

Flintstone

I use tile master level 30!
I think mixing is the key, I will try adding a bit more water. Without measuring the water out its hard to judge it, as it always looks very very watery. I always prime too.

Reply to Self Leveling Tips? in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen