Search the forum,

Discuss schoolboy error/ thermostat cable in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

Hi Doug, would try to avoid going down the air sensor only route as not the most efficient thermostat. I would go with lifting a couple of tiles first or if you did not want to do that one option would be to install the FP at the base of the wall as if fitted correctly the nearest cable should be approx 50mm away. this is still not a brilliant solution but a fairly easy one to do
cheers Aaron, I'll do the belt and braces stuff and lift tiles and embedd conduit and cable. I'm just glad that I always cover ufh with slc and not encase it in with the adhesive, this will make it easier to put right without damaging the warm up mat:thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

Hi Doug,

I did this one time when I thought the thermostat control was going to be one of the dimmer style thermostats that doesn't have a sensor in the floor. It turned out the customer wanted a programable thermostat that has a sensor :mad2::mad2:. My mistake for not checking in advance...

My sparky came over with some mats that look like those soft gel pack thingys that you can put in the freezer and then into a cooler. These things had some sort of crystal in it that glows with heat, so he hard wired the mat to heat it up and then used the gel pack things to show the locations of the heating wires. It mapped them out quite accurately. I was then able to use a John Holmes bit on the drill, come into the side of the SLC pour from the doorway, and drill a hole into the SLC and "thread the needle" between the heating cables.

We slid the thermostat probe in the hole along with as much thinset as I could pack in there. Then he did some continuity testing to ensure that I hadn't hit a wire with the drill bit. I think he only charged me about $150 to do this ( a bit of a favor for sure), and it saved me from tearing the entire floor out and redoing it. :thumbsup:

Where is Jason? Maybe he knows what these things are....

Last edited by a moderator:
F

faithhealer

Never mind Doug, hope for us all, all we need is now is dave to put a tile upside down and TJ to do a bumpy white bathroom lol

W

wivers

I have many friends thank you Ram man....mostly all paid for granted but they still count.

D

doug boardley

update on error: lifted one tile and fitted probe, addied down and grouted, customer says they will pay me when they're satisfied that all is ok. I put my mates tester on and pointed out that there was no fault on ufh. They said that they meant when the grout had dried out to the same colour as the stuff i did the other week:incazzato:

D

doug boardley

nooo, blaming me for the tiles not heating up fast enough!! gonna get on to tile manufacturers to get a PEI rating (customer chose the tiles) and the matting ( altho' customer is saying that he went on my recommendation:thumbsdown:) upshot is, if he doesn't pay, I'm gonna ask for a convenient time to collect my "unpaid" for materials.. ie grout..adhesive.. slc..:grinningelf:

Reply to schoolboy error/ thermostat cable in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen