Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss schoolboy error/ thermostat cable in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

doug boardley

Hi all, did a small bathroom floor last week,slc, electric ufh, covered it in more slc, adhesive, tiles grout, job done! Except I'd forgotten to put the thermostat cable in :mad2::mad2:
Has anyone else done this? and if so, how did you remedy it? I was thinking of raking out a grout joint (5mm) I had a good bed of adhesive as I used a 15mm trowel, so I can also safely rake some of this out too without getting down to, and damaging, ufh. Then dropping cable in and grouting.
Is there any reason why I can't do it this way?
Feel a right numpty for missing out the cable tho'!!

D

Daz

Lol Doug! You plank :lol:.

Do you mean the sensor probe thingy?
This should really be inserted into a piece of conduit so that it can easily be removed and replaced should it fail (which it can do).

Can you not just lift one tile, clean the area and insert the conduit and probe? The probe should really sit in between the "U bend" of the wires and not above.

Or just do what Dave said!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

Thanks Capn. I've fitted hundreds tbh, just don't know why I missed it this time:20:

D

DHTiling

Doug unless you know where a gap is in between the wires of the ufh then just popping the sensor into the joint will no work as it could be right over a cable and the sensor will not work properly....

2 options mate either pull up a couple tiles and fit sensor in tube or use an air one like i said above...and next time put the wivers mag down and keep your mind on work...:lol:

D

doug boardley

I've got 2 spare tiles Dave, altho' the air sensor option does sound tempting, I think I'll pop a couple up, clean the addy out and conduit and cable. At least I won't forget one again:lol::thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Doug - I bet when you realised you swore!
I hope it wasn't in front of the Vicar!:thumbsup:

John.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Oops! :thumbsup:

B

bert&ernie

Hi Doug, would try to avoid going down the air sensor only route as not the most efficient thermostat. I would go with lifting a couple of tiles first or if you did not want to do that one option would be to install the FP at the base of the wall as if fitted correctly the nearest cable should be approx 50mm away. this is still not a brilliant solution but a fairly easy one to do

D

doug boardley

Hi Doug, would try to avoid going down the air sensor only route as not the most efficient thermostat. I would go with lifting a couple of tiles first or if you did not want to do that one option would be to install the FP at the base of the wall as if fitted correctly the nearest cable should be approx 50mm away. this is still not a brilliant solution but a fairly easy one to do
cheers Aaron, I'll do the belt and braces stuff and lift tiles and embedd conduit and cable. I'm just glad that I always cover ufh with slc and not encase it in with the adhesive, this will make it easier to put right without damaging the warm up mat:thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

Hi Doug,

I did this one time when I thought the thermostat control was going to be one of the dimmer style thermostats that doesn't have a sensor in the floor. It turned out the customer wanted a programable thermostat that has a sensor :mad2::mad2:. My mistake for not checking in advance...

My sparky came over with some mats that look like those soft gel pack thingys that you can put in the freezer and then into a cooler. These things had some sort of crystal in it that glows with heat, so he hard wired the mat to heat it up and then used the gel pack things to show the locations of the heating wires. It mapped them out quite accurately. I was then able to use a John Holmes bit on the drill, come into the side of the SLC pour from the doorway, and drill a hole into the SLC and "thread the needle" between the heating cables.

We slid the thermostat probe in the hole along with as much thinset as I could pack in there. Then he did some continuity testing to ensure that I hadn't hit a wire with the drill bit. I think he only charged me about $150 to do this ( a bit of a favor for sure), and it saved me from tearing the entire floor out and redoing it. :thumbsup:

Where is Jason? Maybe he knows what these things are....

F

faithhealer

Never mind Doug, hope for us all, all we need is now is dave to put a tile upside down and TJ to do a bumpy white bathroom lol

Reply to schoolboy error/ thermostat cable in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks