Search the forum,

Discuss schoolboy error/ thermostat cable in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

doug boardley

Hi all, did a small bathroom floor last week,slc, electric ufh, covered it in more slc, adhesive, tiles grout, job done! Except I'd forgotten to put the thermostat cable in :mad2::mad2:
Has anyone else done this? and if so, how did you remedy it? I was thinking of raking out a grout joint (5mm) I had a good bed of adhesive as I used a 15mm trowel, so I can also safely rake some of this out too without getting down to, and damaging, ufh. Then dropping cable in and grouting.
Is there any reason why I can't do it this way?
Feel a right numpty for missing out the cable tho'!!

D

Daz

Lol Doug! You plank :lol:.

Do you mean the sensor probe thingy?
This should really be inserted into a piece of conduit so that it can easily be removed and replaced should it fail (which it can do).

Can you not just lift one tile, clean the area and insert the conduit and probe? The probe should really sit in between the "U bend" of the wires and not above.

Or just do what Dave said!

Last edited by a moderator:
D

doug boardley

Thanks Capn. I've fitted hundreds tbh, just don't know why I missed it this time:20:

D

DHTiling

Doug unless you know where a gap is in between the wires of the ufh then just popping the sensor into the joint will no work as it could be right over a cable and the sensor will not work properly....

2 options mate either pull up a couple tiles and fit sensor in tube or use an air one like i said above...and next time put the wivers mag down and keep your mind on work...:lol:

D

doug boardley

I've got 2 spare tiles Dave, altho' the air sensor option does sound tempting, I think I'll pop a couple up, clean the addy out and conduit and cable. At least I won't forget one again:lol::thumbsup:

T

Time's Ran Out

Doug - I bet when you realised you swore!
I hope it wasn't in front of the Vicar!:thumbsup:

John.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bert&ernie

Hi Doug, would try to avoid going down the air sensor only route as not the most efficient thermostat. I would go with lifting a couple of tiles first or if you did not want to do that one option would be to install the FP at the base of the wall as if fitted correctly the nearest cable should be approx 50mm away. this is still not a brilliant solution but a fairly easy one to do

Reply to schoolboy error/ thermostat cable in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen